jcolon

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:02 pm

I've put together the machine I always wanted when I was a kid. Only thing missing is a nice graphics card.

Anyone has one for sale trade or give :D ?

Thanks. 👍

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:38 pm

Hey jcolon,

Not to go too far off the rails, but are you aware of the brand new zz9000 card, which works for both Zorro II and Zorro III?

I have it installed on one of my A3000s and the image it can produce is eye-wateringly good. It uses the P96 libraries.

It's spendy, but it is brand new. And if the drivers are ever finished for it, the potential is ridiculous.

At least with a new card, you don't have to worry too much about failure due to old age.

Or did you have an old card in mind? (e.g. Picasso II etc.)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:20 pm

@intric8 have you done or had the fix done to your zz9000? If it is of a lower revision, there is a trace that needs to be cut because 3.3v is inadvertently being sent somewhere that should only receive 1.8v due to a routing error. Failure to fix it will eventually kill the FPGA due to overheating.

https://notes.mnt.re/s/BkBGokgMw#

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:01 pm

I have indeed - yes! My friend Christian performed the operation for me right before we locked down in mid March 2020! Thanks for asking.

I assume the new board will ship w/o that issue.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 pm

Yes of course the new boards ship with a new revision.
The card is awesome and even has some basic networking. USB should be considered more of a bonus as it does not support hotplugging at the moment.

Highly recommended!!

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:01 pm

And there also is the Brilliant new Picasso clone.

A bit more simple but an incredibly reliable workhorse.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:55 am

OK, the ZZ9000 has officially caught my interest...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:26 am

Some awesome choices here.

It should be noted that both of these solutions require a CPU accelerator, an 020 or better. That makes sense but will add to the cost if you have a stock A2000.

When the buffee comes out then I will be in the market for a graphics card too. Right now trying to get an accelerator for the 2000 is not very economical with most going for over $400.
Last edited by Zippy Zapp on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:11 am

@ZZ that one McTrinsic linked to (which is very cool indeed) runs $300 US (plus shipping). Considering most cards on Ebay seem to fly past $500, not bad.

But yeah, pretty spendy all the way around for RTG. RTG ... I sort of have a love/hate relationship with it. LOVE the way it looks, hate the way it kills legacy software. You almost need a dedicated machine for it if you like to run software from the 1980s and early 90s.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 pm

intric8 wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:11 am
@ZZ that one McTrinsic linked to (which is very cool indeed) runs $300 US (plus shipping). Considering most cards on Ebay seem to fly past $500, not bad.
That's not bad at all if you just want an RTG card which is what I would be more inclined. I was referring to the fact that It (and the others) requires an 020 CPU, though, and that is where the money starts to add up when you add the cost of a CPU accelerator in. I don't see CPU accelerator cards going for under $300 on eBay. So for someone like me it would be spending $600 to get RTG.

Return to “Trading Post”