obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

I have an order for (400) Amiga 3000 case screws (color matched, with the nylon washer) on the way to me from the manufacturer that made these for Commodore back in the day. They should arrive by April 23, 2021. They are not cheap, hardware store variety screws, but, are rather expensive fasteners that the manufacturer currently sells to the military and such. A set of 4 is going to cost you $6, plus shipping, which is my exact cost.

If you are a member at A1k.org in Germany, I have the sale posted there, along with the link to the order form. As it stands, more than half are spoken for in a day and a half, with a limit of two sets of 4 per user, at this time (guess where all the A3000s in the world are hiding?). I have no doubt I'd be at zero left if I had let some of the folks there who wanted 10 sets each order that many. A1K doesn't allow the sharing of links to their forum for things like this, if I remember right, hence my not posting the direct link.

I do not want to keep track of users from different forums, so unfortunately, for the time being, I'll only be taking orders from users who have an account on A1K.

Sample of a replacement screw:
IMG_0937.jpg
Sample of an original screw:
IMG_0938.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:27 pm

I would love to declare interest for 2 sets - one new set for each of my A3K rigs.

Are these the same ones that the A2K uses?

UPDATE:
Just read your A1K.org account requirement. I can go over there to declare interest, too.

UPDATE 2:
I added myself to your Google Doc.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:46 pm

From what I have read, the A2K uses M4 metric screws, which is the same as the A3000. I guess you or I could go test to see if that is true by removing an A3000 screw and trying it onto an A2000 :)

EDIT:

Yes, they fit. There is somewhat of a color difference, but this could be due to the use of a flash in a dimly lit closet the computers are in. Still looks better than a plain metal screw, though, IMO :)
IMG_0951.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:29 pm

That's what I thought. OK cool if you wind up having leftovers I will update your spreadsheet to 3 rather than 2 sets. For now, I shall keep myself in check. Very cool what you've done!

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:26 am

I've also been told that these screws can also be used with Commodore branded PC compatibles, such as the Colt. I have no such computer to verify it on, so, this is second hand information only.

dalek
Australia

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:27 am

If you end up doing another run I'd be in for a few - I could handle reposting within Australia too.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat May 01, 2021 12:01 pm

I got my sets today.

I wanted to extend my sincere thanks to you for organizing this incredibly niche project from end-to-end.

You did all of the research on your own as well as the communications to the original manufacturer, which undoubtedly took some time. To do a run on made-to-order custom screws it required a minimum purchase of over $600, which you fronted yourself out of your own pocket once you realized you could sell most of the extra sets to folks in the community at-cost.

Then, you took names and one-off payments from folks all over the world to help cover the original costs - and at no profit whatsoever. That took a lot of time, too.

Then, mailing those to folks and running packets down to the post office...

Again - totally selfless act. Such a rare a beautiful thing to see in 2021.

Thanks a bunch!
IMG_3103.jpg
IMG_3107.jpg
Screw on the left is an original; screw on the right is a new one.

IMG_3104.jpg
Lookin' mighty fine.

Christian

Posted Thu May 06, 2021 9:31 pm

I want to echo Eric’s post above. Thank you very much. Acts like this are what helps and keeps the Amiga community together.

lbeyers

Posted Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 am

Are these still available? I am interested if they are.

Thanks.

patb1au

Posted Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:26 pm

I could not find the original thread on A1k.org (not speaking German probably does not help for me).

Are there any more of these sets available, as I am in definite need of one (and could do with two if available)?

Pat

Return to “Trading Post”