bfbiii

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:18 pm

I am on the hunt for an NTSC Amiga 1200. Stock is preferable, but I am open to other options. Many thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:30 pm

@bfbiii they are out there, but times definitely have changed.

I actually sold my last Amiga 1200 I think in 2016. It was an immaculate specimen. Minty case and keycaps, original internal HDD with a mild accelerator. And it came with WHDLoad already installed - and registered - from back in the DAY. Total trip.

Why I sold it, I'm still not 100% sure. But I think I recognized I was just so much more into the Old Stuff. And even though the NTSC 1200 I had was old - and I think I was the 3rd owner since it was made and sold in Arizona back in the day - I realized I kept gravitating towards the OCS/ECS lines. Oftentimes, for the stuff I was into, the 1200/3.1 world broke the things I wanted to use.

And, believe it or not, back in 2016 it sold for...

$1,600.

I'm not joking.

Still boggles my mind typing that.

But man, they are out there no doubt about it. Good luck in your search! I'll keep a lookout, too.

bfbiii

Posted Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:35 pm

Wow! That's a nice sale you made! I'm definitely hoping for something more basic than that... hopefully! Many thanks for the lookout. And I do appreciate the OCS/ECS vibe too ❤️

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:30 am

Does it have to be an NTSC model? The reason I ask is that any A1200 can be switched into either PAL or NTSC from the early startup menu giving you the best of both worlds. I know this isn't 100% as the clock timings, apparently, can still be slightly off but it does work. You can often find a PAL A1200 on places like Amibay for cheaper then on eBay. Well at least that used to be the case. I have not been around there lately but I guess it is worth a look.

This is what I did and used it until I found an NTSC 1200 for a reasonable price.

Another option that I have heard people finding success with is reaching out to local user groups because they often times find something from within their group...

Sorry if this is irrelevant to what you are looking for but I figured I would at least mention it just in case...

bfbiii

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:49 am

Hi Zippy Zapp. I do have a few PAL Amigas and definitely mess with the earl startup feature. I know my way around a soldering station, so I have considered the pretty easy mod, but, yes, in this case I'm after the true NTSC experience.

Looking in local groups is a great idea. I've never been part of that world, but it would be nice, and here's an excuse :-)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:48 pm

@bfbiii what state do you live in?

bfbiii

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:06 pm

I live in New Jersey, but I'm very close to New York City.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:15 pm

Oh man, then you should definitely hit up WAUG, and Amiga Bill. He might be able to help you find your way. Never hurts to ask. (Plus you might very much enjoy joining the WAUG.) Lots of great peeps - I believe now with Zoom it has even gone international. But lots of original members in NY.

bfbiii

Posted Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:19 am

You are right. I should. I am a fan of that whole group. Just one of those things I haven't gotten around to dedicating the time to doing. But... I should :-)

bfbiii

Posted Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:07 am

Looks like I found one through a friend of a friend of a friend. Thank you for the suggestions, all! <3 :boing: <3

Return to “Trading Post”