MrPMorris

Posted Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:42 am

My uncle recently died, aged 104.

I knew he was into photography and had bought a computer to play with digital imagery and had given up on it. I saw the 1701 monitor on his shelf a few times and just thought he must own a C64, which would explain why he gave up on photography ;)

Anyway, it turns out that he actually bought an A1200 back in the 1990's when he was already into his 70's. After a short time he stopped using it and safely stored it away out of sunlight under a kind of wooden cover until he died in 2022.

It's still so white, except the slots at the back are a bit yellow where there was a gap in his box (it was a home-made cover with a gap for leads).

It had an 80 MB hard drive in it, but I couldn't get it to boot, and when booting into workbench from floppies I could see the drive listed but got an error when I double-clicked on it (I don't recall the error).

My friend suggested I replaced it with a flash drive, so I did. I bought a 4 GB flash drive with WHLOAD on it - but not all of the content worked because I only had 2MB of RAM and workbench was loaded, so I added another 8MB.

I was then disappointed with the quality of the composite video, so I bought an RGB to SCART lead and the quality was 100 times better!

Anyway, I've run out of excuses for "testing" it now and need to sell it for my aunt.

Even if you aren't on the market for an Amiga, go and take a look at the photos. The condition is just so good, it's almost like new.

[dead Ebay URL, removed]

I like Xenon 2 music much more these days than when I first heard it :)

Return to “Trading Post”