davediamond

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am

Hello

I'm British, I live in Newcastle, I used to be a programmer, really good fun, and now I've decided to regress to the days I used to play Amiga games in the late eighties and early nineties. A teenager, who actually ventured outside a lot to play sports, so I can't take the title 'nerd'! He,he

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:26 am

Welcome, Davediamond!

My wife's uncle lives in Newcastle, which we visited many years ago. Lovely city and surrounding area.

Thanks for joining, and see you around the site!

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:37 am

Welcome Davediamond!!

Glad to have one more around who enjoyed the good old times …

Are there any special games or genres you had fun with? Or are there special moments you hold dear from back then? And what brought you to the Amiga?

I’ll never forget the jaw-dropping moment when I first saw ‚Defender of the Crown‘. And then spending quite some time with friends on it.
Who needs real time strategy if you can have hot-seat 😆.

Do you still have an Amiga or maybe one again? Or do you emulate due to the ease of use?

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2022 12:00 am

Welcome fellow islander. The journey of rediscovery is littered with moments of joy.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:48 pm

@ davediamond

sounds like you've got something familiar to all of us then so welcome aboard :boing: :commodore:

davediamond

Posted Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:21 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:37 am
Welcome Davediamond!!

Glad to have one more around who enjoyed the good old times …

Are there any special games or genres you had fun with? Or are there special moments you hold dear from back then? And what brought you to the Amiga?

I’ll never forget the jaw-dropping moment when I first saw ‚Defender of the Crown‘. And then spending quite some time with friends on it.
Who needs real time strategy if you can have hot-seat 😆.

Do you still have an Amiga or maybe one again? Or do you emulate due to the ease of use?
Well, I played Amiga games a lot, and my jaw dropped at Defender of the Crown too, other games held me for even longer back then, namely Batman the Movie, Robocop, and The Untouchables, all film tie ins...it must have been the budget! Other favs include Turrican, both of them, Millennium 2.2, and the flight sim genre, the likes of F19 Stealth Fighter, Gunship 2000 and Their Finest Hour. Finally I loved and laughed all the way through the Monkey Island series.

PS. Two player games practically wore my Konix Speedking out...Kick Off I & II, I couldn't get into Speedball though. Also footie related : Multiplayer Soccer Manager.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:07 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun!!

Unfortunately, back then I was something of a nerd or freak for the most of my friends.

So no two-player games for me.

Rather occasionally, I had a friend that also had fun playing Empire. We couldn’t decide if we should look or not when the other was playing.

Interesting to hear that you were so interested in movie-tie-ins. Back then, I usually expected them to be crap. 😆

davediamond

Posted Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:54 pm

I used to have a portable TV, and Amiga setup. My brother in law who liked a drink, memorably was piloting a submarine while intoxicated...he was playing 'The Hunt For Red October'. 😂

I don't even know if that particular game was just a crippled demo, or whether it was full version cack. Either way, it was terrible, so maybe it was made to be accompanied by strong lager, who knows?

Return to “Member Intros”