JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:28 am

I've been a Commodore hobbyist since the introduction of the C64. Moved from 8-bit to Amigas, then on to PC's (building XT's onward). My younger brother and I still dabble in building, programming, and playing with Commodore machines to this day.

I've owned C64's, C128's, and SX-64's. Actually, still do have one of each. Currently own an A500, A1000, A2000 (two), and an A4000. Also own a Commodore PC-20III, just for nostalgia's sake. I'd like to find some kind of SCSI adapter for the A1000, such as a Sidecar.

Since I'm a software engineer I also love finding old programming software from by-gone days, and dabbling in getting the software productive. I've amassed a lot of gear over the years, both hardware and software.

Now, if only to find enough time to thoroughly enjoy the hobby, lol... Retirement's coming in three or four years, so perhaps I'll really have some serious time to devote to this addiction then!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:49 am

Welcome. Happy to have another Commodore user and tinkerer to the board. Thanks for sharing your story.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:44 am

Welcome!!

And my usual rant: Pictures!! We want pictures. Of the Commodore-/ Retro-Hardware specifically, to avoid any embarrassing misinterpretations 😆😉.

Anyway, for the A1000 please be aware of the parceiro viewtopic.php?t=1689 if it rather is about mass storage and not about PC compatibility. You mentioned SCSI that’s I point this out. And there are also quite a few internal solutions. Some even made an ACA500(+) https://icomp.de/shop-icomp/en/shop/pro ... 0plus.html work, although that’s not guaranteed to work. YMMV.

What kind of software were you / are you working on??

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 am

I read the posting regarding the Parceiro, it's definitely a nifty expansion. But, without SCSI or passthrough support it's not practical for me at the current time. I do have an A1000 ROM switcher already available (just haven't installed it yet), so I'll be ready to install both the 1.3 and 2.04 when it's time to use SCSI. I'm even entertaining picking up some A500 external bus HD's, and just creating a new case for the otherwise backwards use on the A1000; maybe repurpose an old A1010 floppy case, lol (seen that done somewhere else, thought it was a hoot).

I'll post some pics one day when I get the computer room organized enough where my machines aren't just open-air cases (which 3/4 of them currently are, what with tinkering with them so much).

I've got an RTG card to use in either the A4000 or one of the A2000 machines, I just can't remember which one I bought off eBay two or three years ago (maybe EGS 28/24 Spectrum?). I know that I need to download the drivers for it, which I haven't done yet. Right now I have Indivision boards in the A4000 and one of the A2000's. The other A2000 is fairly plain-vanilla (was a loaner to my brother at one time, but now back in my barn).

Return to “Member Intros”