bonamiga

Posted Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:21 am

Hi , Why bonamiga ? well bon ami means good friend in french so I suppose bonamiga means good friend amiga .
I am now retired, so now have time to do things that interest me. I got into the amiga after several years of the ZX spectrum (various models) .. still got a spectrum + 3 . In the early amiga days, I saw a demo of battlechess running in a computer shop window ... blown away back then, it was amazing, so I had to have one . I still have the 500+ in the atttic , and with lockdown thought I would give it a try. It had been up there a while! 30 plus years. I had to buy a replacement keyboard membrane. my monitor would'nt work so tried different solutions. I still had an A520 which gave a fuzzy picture on my samsung tv , but a modern GBS - 8220 worked and gave a decent picture to both TV and Monitor. The internal floppy drive has been a pain. I cleaned the heads an lubricated the drive shaft .. worked for a while , likewise a spare. I think the floppy disks are too old and keep mucking up the drives. My solution is to go GOTEK . Technically the gotek works but as DF1, so most games on the usb stick wont load. The ribbon cable for the external gotek will also support a PC floppy drive which I do have. So the planned solution is , buy a df1 df0 swtch for the chip. Leave the old internal floppy in for aesthetics , and swap between Gotek and PC floppy drive to run as DF0 drive to run games. Surprisingly the PC drive will load amiga floppies. My amiga still has a GVP Harddrive and KCS PowerPC Board in the expansion slot, so it will emulate a PC currently running dos 5.0. I Still have got Lotus 123 and Wordperfect running off the harddrive. Back in the old days I did IT support for an IBM Mainframe over in United States. Using the amiga I could log on , analyse problems change JCL and load batch runs and other stuff. I dont think many Amigas did that? . I dont have the dedicated ASDL phone line or the modem anymore, and my printer is long gone. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. I will browse this site and see whats going on ... Cheers Bonamiga (John)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:55 am

Bonjour Bonamiga! Good to have you here. Good luck sorting out your floppy drive situation. Your Amiga 500 sounds like a fantastic Amiga battle station!

Welcome aboard.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:10 pm

Welcome!

Those stories where the Amiga was used for business cases and was actually more usable and flexible than the IBM that was implanted ... wonderful!!

Got any pics from back then how you did your work? Your desk or something like this?

How did you find your way back ‚home‘ :boing: :commodore: :ghost: ??

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:46 pm

Welcome! Cool stories from back in the day...

Hopefully, you removed the battery from that 500+ :)

Return to “Member Intros”