Aghnar

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:14 am

Hi,

I have discovered recently this forum and I find it marvelous. It speaks a lot about :boing: A1000, :boing: A500, OS 1.2 and 1.3. All what I prefer.
I have been reusing my Amiga (A500 and A1200) for 3 years after a little hibernation of about 20 years. What I do the most on Amiga is coding (in Amos).
I am coding demos and a game (in progress).

My idea is to code a demo for the A1000. In fact all the demo I coded are for A500 (with 512kb of fast).
But with no fast ram and only 256kb of chip memory I have less than 20Kb left when I do a simple executable doing nothing in Amos...
I want to keep this limit of 256kb of chip memory because I find this is a kind of signature of the A1000.
But I am obliged to consider extra memory...

What I want to know if some people have some interest for demo for A1000 and if a minimal running config based on 256kb of chip + 256 kb of other memory (who can be fast, slow, chip) is a config that will allow most people who have today an A1000 to launch the demo?
Thanks.

Aghnar
PS : sorry for the quality of my english...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:32 am

Welcome! Thanks for sharing the link to your projects on Pouet. It is always nice to have a coder on the forums! I will check out your demos as I am a fan of them for sure.

:boing: :commodore: :D

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:55 am

I always appreciate it if the A1000 gets some love. It is a wonderful machine, the one that started it all.

Do you have some background on the machines you use for coding?
Do you do it in UAE or on actual Amiga Hardware?

And if you own real Amiga hardware - got some pics of you setup?

Sorry if I am curious. I find it exciting that after all this time, and with all these new electronics around, people still come back to 16-bit and 8-bit wonders. Are there any special stories how you came to the amiga and why you still hold it dear?

Aghnar

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:14 pm

@Zippy Zapp
Thanks.

@McTrinsic
No problem, we are here to speak about Amigas :-)

So I had my first Amiga (an A500) in 1990 and an A1200 in 1993. I own always these two machines.
My A500 has a small extension of 512kb of slow fast memory and my A1200 a blizzard IV 030 @50mhz 16mega that I bought if I remember well in 1996.

I use only my Amiga to test my code (what I do regularly) but I code on PC with winuae and the Amos code editor or Visual Studio code. I think that the productivity on a PC is far better.

I am currently trying to build a real modern A500 config. By "modern" I mean that I try to keep the original spirit so I keep the os 1.3 and doesn't want to alter the case of the Amiga nor add a fast processor (by fast I mean faster than 14mhz :-) ). Personnaly I find that adding a "powerful" processor compared to the coproressor like the blitter for example is not logical (the amiga becoming a PC of the beginning of the 90's). But of course this is my opinion. No problem if others don't think like that :-). So by modern I want that my a500 to be compatible with HDMI monitor or USB key for example (so I added a rgbTohdmi thing).

I will probably buy an Amiga 1000 in a near future.

I come back to the Amiga when I saw the demo "Rink a dink redux". Then I think all about that for some times and in 2018 I started doing a complete refactor of a game I did in the 90s and did some demoscene like effects. I did a first demo in 2019 and then three others. The demo "Happy New Year 2021" contains a small unplayable preview on the game I am working on.

So now you know everything of my Amiga life :-)

And about you, where can I find your Amiga CV in the forum :-) ?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 pm

Welcome, Aghnar!

If you want to see McTrinisic's claim to fame on Amigalove.com, look no further than his insane Phoenix rig from ~2018. It's like a rocket ship fit into the back of a 1963 VW bug. =D

McTrinsic has been a very active member here for a while now offering his input, experiences and advice. Browse around a bit and I think you'll find everyone here is exceptionally generous and kind.

Thanks for joining! Looking forward to seeing where your hobby takes you.

Aghnar

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:16 pm

intric8 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:03 pm
If you want to see McTrinisic's claim to fame on Amigalove.com, look no further than his insane Phoenix rig from ~2018. It's like a rocket ship fit into the back of a 1963 VW bug. =D

McTrinsic has been a very active member here for a while now offering his input, experiences and advice. Browse around a bit and I think you'll find everyone here is exceptionally generous and kind.

Thanks for joining! Looking forward to seeing where your hobby takes you.
Indeed the link is very interesting. I am going to surf in the forum. A lot of things to discover.

Ok I am going to do a little demo that run with 256kb of chip memory (for a total of 512kb min).
Perhaps some people could test it on real A1000.

Thanks to all for your welcome <3

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:41 pm

I tried to talk a bit about myself here

Unfortunately with lots of typos 🙃

Aghnar

Posted Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:09 am

McTrinsic wrote: I tried to talk a bit about myself here

Unfortunately with lots of typos 🙃
Interesting and no problem with typos : I am french and unfortunately my english is bad...

@Intric8
As it is mentionned in the thread of McTrinsic, the site is very well made with a neat presentation and works very well with small resolution. Well done ! :-)

I will create a thread about making a demo in Amos for an A1000 (so with 256kb of chip, a bit more total memory) but I will not create it in games and software. Perhaps in "the lounge". I will try to do a first entry this weekend. Then I will see if some people are interested and I will continue in function of that. And in fact even if nobody seems to be interested. Hé hé hé :boing: <3 :joystick:

BatteMan
France

Posted Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:50 am

Hehe! Un autre frenchie sur AmigaLove ! Et qui aime le 1.3 ! Copain de moi 😉

De quel côté de la France es tu ?

And welcome here!

Aghnar

Posted Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 am

@Batteman
I live in a small town near Paris. And you ?

Return to “Member Intros”