Frobozz
USA

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:54 pm

obitus1990 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:32 pm
Greetings! Great collection...and on a vintage shelf to boot.
Thanks! Heh, the shelf's actually at work. I don't have any room at home, so to placate my wife I moved my collection to my office. It beats just having plants and a "Hang in there!" poster :) .

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:14 pm

Recapping makes me very nervous (I have to send it out, and the thought of shipping it back and forth terrifies me), but I know I need to just bite the bullet and get it over with.
Might I recommend Frank at Retro Rewind. The only downside is he's located in Canada, so shipping isn't as cheap as someone stateside. But he does very good work and his customer service is top notch. If you ping him at some point tell him we all said, "Hi!" at AmigaLove.

As for a 1541 emulator, I can't recommend the Ultimate1541 more highly. It's expensive, and the wait can suck sometimes (they are all out of stock at the moment, which sucks even more), but it's one of the most amazing devices ever made for the C64 IMO. That being said, there are excellent and far cheaper solutions out there that'll cover your tracks 90% of the way. The Ultimate's possibilities ... you could spend ages in there just unlocking half its potential.

Anyway... have fun figuring things out this winter. Look forward to seeing you around the site as you post more stuff. And don't be shy about non-Commodore brands. You can always use the "retro corner" area for any flavor you want to talk or ask about.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:38 am

I agree with @intric8 on the 1541U2+ it is an amazing cartridge. Because of supply shortages it may be a long wait for one of those. If you already have a RaspberryPi version 3 lying around you can get a Pi1541 hat for $20-$30 and turn that into an accurate drive too. I still use actual disks but occasionally I do use the emulated drives too.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:15 am

intric8 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:14 pm
Might I recommend Frank at Retro Rewind.
Thanks, I could definitely use some referrals for recapping services! That was actually going to be my first question posed to the Hardware board, so I appreciate the help. The pricing is more reasonable than I've seen elsewhere, too, although I imagine shipping isn't exactly cheap regardless of who you choose.
intric8 wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:14 pm
As for a 1541 emulator, I can't recommend the Ultimate1541 more highly.
Yeah, I saw that -- it's impressive! Judging from the notice on the website, it sounds like it's going to be quite a wait before they go back into production again :( . I have a spare Raspberry Pi 3, so Zippy Zapp's suggestion below about the Pi1541 is probably a more realistic option. Still, the Ultimate 1541 is something to add to my wishlist.

Frobozz
USA

Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:17 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:38 am
If you already have a RaspberryPi version 3 lying around you can get a Pi1541 hat for $20-$30 and turn that into an accurate drive too.
Thanks, I had no idea this existed -- and I just happen to have a RP3 I'm not using for anything else. That would make a nice stopgap until I can get hold of an Ultimate 1541.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:41 pm

Frobozz wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:17 am
Thanks, I had no idea this existed -- and I just happen to have a RP3 I'm not using for anything else. That would make a nice stopgap until I can get hold of an Ultimate 1541.
Here is the Official Website.

I have had my Pi3 sitting around waiting for a use so I decided after years of collecting dust I would try it out for the fun of it. It apparently also works with the Zero but possibly in reduced functionality mode.

It apparently, won't ever work with the RPI4 which is a shame because the 3 is very expensive now as people that have stock of them are charging $130 or more for a 3. But for those that have it this is a decent solution...

URS_Retro
Wisconsin

Posted Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:30 pm

That C128 looks nice and clean! I miss mine...

Welcome!

(I'm from WI too).

Return to “Member Intros”