austin90

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:20 am

Hey there!

I'm not too well versed in retro computers, but I thought this would be a great place to feed my developing interest. I look forward to seeing all kinds of really intriguing things on here.

Thanks!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:52 am

Welcome, new guy!

Where are you based?

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:41 am

Hi there and welcome!

It’s a nice place here to hang out.

What kind of systems are you interested in? Any childhood memories that bring you here?

And my usual question: do you currently have any systems set up at home? Any chance for pics of your setup? WinUAE also counts 😀

austin90

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:54 am

intric8 wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:52 am
Welcome, new guy!

Where are you based?
Thanks! Based out of Riverside, California!

austin90

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:12 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:41 am
Hi there and welcome!

It’s a nice place here to hang out.

What kind of systems are you interested in? Any childhood memories that bring you here?

And my usual question: do you currently have any systems set up at home? Any chance for pics of your setup? WinUAE also counts 😀
Thanks for the welcome!

I used to play this video game called Fallout when I was younger if you've heard of it. In it, you can access these computer terminals around the world with message logs and whatnot. All of them are these super retro classical computers with loud thoccy keyboards and bright glaring monitors; seeing those made me start liking retro systems. So I guess I'm interested in systems just like that, whichever they may be.

Like I said, not too versed in these just yet so I don't quite own one for myself. But I did look up WinUAE and that definitely looks like a fun thing to try!

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:43 pm

Hi,
sure I know about Fallout. I always wanted to play Wasteland and the sequels. Fallout seems pretty inspired by Wasteland.

Cool to have you here.

If you’re really starting from scratch, you might want to consider the AmigaForever package. It is the easiest entry into Amiga gaming.
Later, it can be expanded with more software.

They also have a C64 package: C64 Forever.

See here:
https://www.amigaforever.com/

Cheers,
McT

austin90

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:19 pm

Glad you know of it!

And thanks a ton, AmigaForever looks right up my alley. I checked out a couple of the game website listings (like AmigaLand ) and it seems pretty expansive.

I'll give it a go sometime. Thanks again!

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:16 pm

There are several sites that provide access to „TOSEC“ or „CAPS/CAPSDI“ image collections.

Floppy Disk images are usually „.adf“ images (Amiga Disk File).

Harddisk-images are „.hdf“-images (Hard Disk Files).

Play around (literally ;) ) a bit. If you need help let us know. 😀

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:50 pm

Welcome welcome. Definitely give this a watch. A great repair video with some history for good measure. An oldie, but a goodie. And a small warning, this hobby is seriously addictive.
https://youtu.be/8qUCMF6OZkA

austin90

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:44 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:16 pm
Play around (literally ;) ) a bit. If you need help let us know. 😀
Great bit of information, really appreciate it!

Return to “Member Intros”