Anachronist

Posted Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:51 pm

Hi - My name is George and it's a pleasure to finally join this group. My first computer was a Commodore 64, which was eventually replaced by a (used) Amiga 1000 back in 1989 (I stupidly sold the C64). I still have the A1000, which sat in a box for many years, but now occupies its rightful place next to my PC (ugh). I've since re-purchased a C64 (eBay can be terrific at times) and even an Ultimate Elite board (it's still in the box).

I'm generally a novice, but my main goal is to learn how best to future-proof both the A1000 and the C64 so I can enjoy them at a time in the future when I have more free time. I look forward to meeting the folks on this board!

fastrobplus

Posted Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:55 am

Nice too e-meet you. A bunch of us here are from the Seattle area.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:29 am

Welcome!!

Great that you’re around.

Unless there is an expansion in the A1000 with a battery, it is probably military grade ;) .

Enjoy your time!!

Any fond memories with the Amiga and C64s that you could share??

Any pics??

Hans

Posted Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:01 am

Hello from Beaverton Oregon. If you need any help with your computers, just let me know. I keep spare parts and I have a complete vintage computer repair and refurbishment shop.

Anachronist

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 pm

McTrinsic wrote: Welcome!!

Great that you’re around.

Unless there is an expansion in the A1000 with a battery, it is probably military grade ;) .

Enjoy your time!!

Any fond memories with the Amiga and C64s that you could share??

Any pics??
Thank you, McTrinsic. Fond memories? Sure - when I was a high school junior, the C64 was the best Xmas gift I ever received (and much safer than a Red Rider BB gun!). Then I worked my tail off (at $3.50/hour) to afford a 1541 (so I wouldn't lose all my type-in programs when I turned the C64 off!).

I bought my Amiga 1000 used in 1988 (or was it ’89?) to replace my C64; I couldn't afford a new A500. I used it as my main college/grad school computer for a few years until assignments started cropping up using Excel, SPSS, etc… and I had to swallow hard and switch to a PC clone. I never felt like I had enough time to explore the Amiga 1000 (or the C64, for that matter)…

As for pics, here's my A1000:
Attachments
Amiga.jpg

Anachronist

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:24 pm

fastrobplus wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:55 am
Nice too e-meet you. A bunch of us here are from the Seattle area.
Thank you - hopefully I'll get to meet many of the local users!

Anachronist

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:38 pm

Hans wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:01 am
Hello from Beaverton Oregon. If you need any help with your computers, just let me know. I keep spare parts and I have a complete vintage computer repair and refurbishment shop.
Hi Hans, thanks for letting me know about your services. I may take you up on that; do you have a website? I'm really interested in being able to use both my A1000 and my C64 several years from now when I retire. I’m no hardware or software expert - really a just guy who loves using the older machines (they had so much more character than today’s machines).

My A1000 is pretty bare-bones – only 512MB RAM, and no modifications… yet. I’ll need to figure out several aspects. For example, I have an old CRT monitor, but what's the best way to connect it to an LCD (maybe SCART?) if the CRT gives out? The built-in 3.5” drive works fine now, but floppies aren’t forever. I’d like to be able to boot Kickstart 1.3 without using a floppy, though I’d still like to be able to access my modest floppy collection. I’d also like to somehow add the ability to read adf files from a USB or SD… maybe even boot an adf file...

As for the C64, I (stupidly) sold my original three decades ago when I switched to the A1000, but bought a C64 off eBay in decent shape a couple years ago. I also recently bought an Ultimate Elite board, but still need to find a breadbin case and keyboard, preferably in good shape, as I don't want to gut my existing C64.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded answer, but thanks for letting me know about your services and I'd like to learn more...

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:58 pm

Hi,

for an upgrade to the video-out I would recommend the Indivision ECS from iComp. You need an adapter board for the A1000. Plus, it is „only“ VGA-out.

Others have come to like a solution where you use a Raspberry Pi on a carrier board. That’s HDMI out.

Both solutions require you to open the Amiga. Not everyone likes to do that. In that case, there are external solutions such as the „OSSC“ or the D520 HDMI converter.

Cheers,
McT

You might have a look at

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:39 pm

@ Anachronist

welcome aboard :boing: :commodore:

Anachronist

Posted Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:11 pm

Both solutions require you to open the Amiga. Not everyone likes to do that. In that case, there are external solutions such as the „OSSC“ or the D520 HDMI converter.

Cheers,
McT

You might have a look at
Thanks McTrinsic, and my apologies for the delayed reply. Yes, I'm one of those novices that are nervous about opening my A1000 case. The D520 site I found was in German (and my high school German is rusty), but looks somewhat promising, as does the OSSC. I'll search for a comparison of the two. You started to type "You might have a look at"... but didn't add what I might have a look at! :)

Return to “Member Intros”