roberthazelby

Posted Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:14 am

Hi all,

I’ve recently been recommended visiting these forums, and after reading a few threads I’m pleased I did.

My brief Amiga history is that I’ve continued to own Amigas since getting my first in late 1990. My current collection is an Amiga 1200 tower, A500, A600 and A1200.

I joined the South West Amiga Group in the mid to late 90s, but only attended a couple of meets before the group folded.

Around six years ago myself and two others decided to try relaunching the group. Our first meet had 12 attendees, the next around 20, and it’s just grown from there. We meet three times a year and at our standard 12 hour long meets we get around 60 attendees. At our annual Workbench events where we have guest speakers we get around 90.

The Amiga seems to be having a real resurgence at the moment, which is wonderful to see.

Thanks for having me!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:12 am

Hi roberthazelby! Welcome to the site.

I, too, founded a club. Although ours is broader than just Amiga. The official name is the Seattle Commodore Computer Club (sea-ccc.org). And while Commodore machines dominate, we bring in pretty much anything and everything under the sun. We've had Macintosh, Sharp, Atari and more on the computer side. And consoles including the Vectrex, Colecovision and even MiSTers built inside an A1000's clothes. Everything is fair game.

But we always have Amiga/C64/C128 in attendance.

We meet once a month, so our meets are typically much smaller (about a dozen folks) and shorter (3-3.5 hours) as they occur on a Tuesday or Wednesday night after work. The total membership is much larger (over 50), but getting everyone's schedules to align generally means only a percentage can make it each time.

I love having the club, though, and we continue our hobby on a daily level by using a private Slack channel.

During the peak of the pandemic we moved over to Zoom, which actually allowed people to join from not just outside the city but even outside the state - and country! We had folks "dialing in" from over 2,400 miles away in completely different timezones. We even had some attending from Canada, which was very cool.

Honestly, I'm going to miss the Zoom meets and may still lean on them from time to time. But it's been really nice getting back to being in-person.

Thanks for joining and telling your story! I'd love to see a pic of your A1200 tower some day. That sounds pretty cool.

Return to “Member Intros”