RadCaz

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:00 pm

Now I gotta search my closet for my Amiga 500 with additional external disk drive so I can take a photo. It's in there somehwere buried under old gaming consoles, lol.

Hello everyone and happy holidays!

It started with the Commodore 64 and later, after mowing many many lawns, I upgraded to an Amiga 500.

Started programming my own games and later got into the graphics aspect. And the Amiga was no slouch in that department!

Always wanted to get an A2000 for its increased resolution and pallet and combined with "Video Toaster" I'd be in heaven. I read back in the day that the SciFi series "Babylon 5" (I highly recommend!) used several A2000's for its CGI. But alas, it wasn't in the cards, and I just dated myself. :)

So, whaddya think about that new AmigaMini that's currently on the market? I wonder if it can replicate the A2000 as well.

Later.

Appee

Posted Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:54 pm

Welcome to our group! The mini can play games pretty well but it isn't exactly analogue or is the same i/o so I'd say it's awesome for games and that's about it. Happy to hear your amiga 500 is alive and well. It's fun rediscovering hardware. I'm a sucker for the a1000 and I have a few iconic looking 500s as well. The 2000 is a dangerous slope. I have one and if I put one upgrade in it, I know I won't be able to stop :p

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:10 am

Hi RadCaz,

glad to have you here, welcome!!

Any chance to share a bit more of your Amiga-past?

What brought you to the Amiga? Any memorable moments where you thought „wtf I need to have this computer“ ! 😉

Any games you liked or loved that inspired you to delve I to this area on your own?

And if I may ask - anything about your games that you work(ed?) on that you can share, or some graphics?

And of course - is this the original Amiga you have from then? I’d love to see the setup!

Regarding your question: the A500mini is geared towards old-fashioned gamers from back then, like me. That’s the market. I don’t think that someone would have fun recreating the work experience from back then.

Technically, there is little if any difference between an A500 and an unexpanded A2000…

If you really want an A2000, then there is AmigaForever and/or WinUAE. I guess anyone using an A2000 back then would be tech savvy enough to use the emulators. Or get an A2000 :).

Just my 2cents.

Cheers,
McTrinsic

Return to “Member Intros”