McTrinsic

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Hi,

when the past struck me I eventually came back to the Amiga...

That was in ca. 2004. Now, almost 14 years later, and a lot of money later, I am having fun with my Amiga and enjoy my regular blast from the past.
Unfortunately I rarely browse AmigaLove with a PC (or Mac ;) ) but rather with my mobile, which makes posting a bit cumbersome.
When I have the time I'd like to give you an overview of my Phoenixboard-system with an exta or two.
I enjoy perfectioning the WB 3.1 for this system, which is my personal balance between usability and an install that is as small as possible.
Currently, I am looking for lightweight, ANSI-compatible replacement for "more". My whole system has just 17.2 MB bur I harldly miss anything.
The WHDLoad-games and demos that I highly enjoy com on top of that, of course ;)

Other than that I enjoy the occasional book and love music. While being rooted in the 80ies with Simple Minds, Marillion, U2, Queen, The Men They Couldnt Hang and such groups I more and more turn to discover contemporary music. My kids help greatly with that :).

I really appreciate that this forum isnt as crowded ... appears to be more friendly here.

If I can help you with something let me know!

Cheers,
McT

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Welcome, McTrinsic!

To those that don't know, McTrinsic has an amazing Amiga 1000 Phoenix build that he's perfected over the years into an incredibly capable and powerful machine. He's also been a huge help to me in the background giving me some pointers here and there for my own Phoenix project.
Unfortunately I rarely browse AmigaLove with a PC (or Mac ;) ) but rather with my mobile, which makes posting a bit cumbersome.
This is very true. I've made it so that the site is readable on mobile web fairly nicely I think. But in terms of content creation -posting in particular - this is definitely true. To be honest I think I might actually try to focus on that in the near future. I think I may also include font-size changer to allow users the ability to change their font-size for reading the forums and games pages however they see fit.
When I have the time I'd like to give you an overview of my Phoenixboard-system
Man - that would be great. I've seen some pics over at a1k.org and my jaw hit the floor at what you've managed to do.
I really appreciate that this forum isnt as crowded ... appears to be more friendly here.
We try very hard to encourage an environment that is friendly, helpful and respectful. It helps that AmigaLove.com is so tiny, of course. We are very slowly growing but everyone is still very cool. There's really no reason to get uptight about this passion of ours, in my opinion. I see on Facebook Groups continuous threads that get people bent out of shape that really waste a lot of energy. Everyone's idea of what "Amiga is" is very personal, but some like to try and enforce their version via brute force. That often rubs people the wrong way.

For example: simply mention the word "Vampire" on the Facebook Group board and see what happens. Hah!

Having fun is what this is all about, or what the hell are we doing? Right? ;)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:38 pm

McTrinsic wrote: I really appreciate that this forum isnt as crowded ... appears to be more friendly here.
Welcome and I agree with you 100%! This place is awesome. Glad you joined and I look forward to hearing your experiences.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
Readability on the mobile device is great. Basic posting as well.
For longer posts I'll see to get a hand on the family-laptop or take the time in front of my PC :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 pm

I spent a little bit of time today to improve posting on mobile web. Now when you log in on your smaller devices, the Smilies and other (nearly useless) bits are hidden from view. This allows for a streamlined posting experience.

Hope that helps.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:43 pm

They're still there.
But don't worry too much. It's okay.

I like this forum anyways :) .

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Oh - whenever your phone's browser cache is cleared they should disappear. I had to go in and delete my history and cache to see the changes.

I'm going to continue to make improvements, but at least today once your cache clears your posting should look more like this:
Image-1.png
New mobile web post/reply screen

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I'm tempted to remove all of the text formatting buttons, too. They are rarely used, but take up a LOT of space on mobile web.

Bulletdust

Posted Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 am

McTrisinc's A1000 is the bomb! Love that machine.

Furthermore, I can imagine the Phoenix board didn't make things easy, so getting things to the point they're at now literally would have been a labor of love - I don't know whether I personally would have had the patience!

I tip my hat to it's creator!

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks, I had a lot of help.
I did enough to say that's 'mine', though I think :).
In hindsight it seems I have kept the wrong board. I have one from the original run 1990. I also had one from the 2005 run. The newer ones seem to be more stable with expansions such as the Buddha Flash Phoenix Edition.
I thought it would be so cool to have the original board from the guy who made the SCSI hack.
So I have a board with some history but which is even a greater diva ;).

I love it :D .

Return to “Member Intros”