Nick

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:37 am

I have just won an auction of 500 old (working) floppy discs with games/software for about 80$. Was this a good price? In any case, I love the nostalgic feeling I get from using floppy’s atm. Next month, I will start upgrading the Amiga itself.

The games I bought are for Amiga 500/600 and 2000.

I am thinking that the 2000 games will not work with my Amiga, but would the 600 games work?

Also, if I buy an aca500plus, would I be able to play all games (including the 2000 games)?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:31 am

The Amiga 500 and 2000 were launched at the same time. Those two machines are virtually identical, except the A2000 is way more easily expandable with original upgrades from back in the day. If a game was made for the A500 (which was the case 99.999% of the time) then they'll work just fine with the A2000.

$80 for 500 floppy disks is indeed a good deal - in my opinion - if the disks work. If they were well cared for in a climate controlled setting all these years, I'd be willing to bet over 90% of those disks will work just fine (my personal collection is nearly 100% functional). But you won't really know until you get them and try.

McTrinsic

Posted Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:23 am

The A2000 may behave differently when / if there are expansions built in. It shouldn’t- but could. I am not aware of a game that is affected by that. And unless it needs all mem available it shouldn’t. The Zorro cards need ca. 64kb mem for autoconfig afaik.
Again - this should be rather theoretical. I’d prefer the A2000 for the ease of expansion with e.g. a Hard Drive.

The A600 only came with Kick 2.x so therefore might have some incompatibilities with games requiring Kick 1.x. There were some efforts to use a custom Kick 1.3 with an A600 but I am not aware of a usable solution.

Have fun 😀
McT

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:05 pm

So much joy coming your way. Keep us updated as to how you get on sorting though all those disks.

Return to “Retro Corner”