obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:48 pm

There are many options for scan doubling the output from our retro computers to utilize a modern monitor. Among them is the Gonbes GBS8200. It is certainly not the best option, but, for those on a budget, it will do. I recently purchased one to put into my DIY arcade cabinet that houses a CAPCOM CPS2 system board with a DarkSoft multigame board (plays every single capcom CPS2 game by removing the original ROMs and replacing them with a board that fits into those sockets and can be flashed at will to change games). The stock results were OK, but, there were plenty of artifacts and it was somewhat lagged.

Enter GBSCONTROL firmware:

https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control

It requires getting and ESP8266 WiFi development board, flashing it with Arduino IDE, soldering it to several key points on the board, and optionally soldering an external clock generator board to eliminate any screen tearing. All in, it costs under $30. The results are amazing. You control the scaler via WiFi from any computer browser, as the ESP module now provides a webserver for you to connect to at http://gbscontrol. Simply connect to the wifi point, login with the password of qqqqqqq and you're set.

I am no video aficionado, but, I can't see any lag. You can add scanlines if you prefer, and vary them in strength according to your preferences. There are many other options to play with on GBSCONTROL, as well as others in development. It took me about an hour tops to build, and I am glad I did, versus buying a second OSSC for $200.
IMG_0591 2.jpg

Web interface:

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 9.26.17 PM.png

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:59 am

Quite interesting and at the right time. I currently consider to replace my old lcd-tv that I use to connect my Atari 7800 and (hopefully soon) reworked C64 to.

Would be great if with this solution I could use my old Eizo LCD monitor as it still features VGA.

kerobaros

Posted Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:01 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:59 am
Would be great if with this solution I could use my old Eizo LCD monitor as it still features VGA.
You absolutely can! I've been playing with a similar setup off and on for a while, and the GBS board should work just fine with your Eizo. I've been having fun using it with VGA Carts, though.

I need to get another GBS board, as I think I did a poor job soldering the debug pin on the board. My long term plan is to build a small arcade cabinet out of a VGA CRT (if I can find one the right size) with a MiSTer and one of these boards hooked up to a switch inside it.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:24 am

Hi,

one question, though: the GBS ist still limited to CGA, right?

I mean, no PAL S-Video or composite as input?

Cheers,
McT

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:03 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:24 am
Hi,

I mean, no PAL S-Video or composite as input?

Cheers,
McT
Full specs of GBS

RobClaggy

Posted Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:49 pm

I've been googling all day for this same thing for the last hour. So I thought I'd create an account and comment!

If you look at the GBS-8200 manual it doesn't really list composite as a supported input signal.

However, what I discovered it that almost all older computers and games have an RGB output separated in the connector. What this allows you to do is connect the RGB and SYNC pins directly to the header on the 8200 and bingo, you have a picture.

Most of the times you can just chop the end off of a spare cable and just connect the RGB/S right to the header!

Return to “Retro Corner”