BubbleGum
UK
Website

Posted Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:04 am

Hi there!

I am originally from the Eastern block, and I was wondering if any of you knows or remembers a handheld game that was crazy popular in the early 90s. I believe it was a Russian game (because of the Cyrillic signs on the device itself) and the most popular game was eggs collecting. There was a wolf with a basket in the middle of the screen (wolf as a character from an old Russian cartoon about a wolf and a hare), controlled by the player and your job was to collect eggs that would fall from the corners of the screen. Very basic, very easy concept but addictive as hell. There was also another version of eggs game like scuba divers catching mussels etc. But one game was slightly different, and that was my favorite. Car race. You were controlling a car and had to avoid obstacles on the road. So simple yet so amazing. Do you know/remember those handhelds?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA
Website

Posted Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 am

It didn't take too long to find based on your description. It's a Russian (Soviet) clone of Nintendo's Game & Watch called "Wolf & Eggs" on a device called the Electronika IM 02.
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.53.18 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.53.28 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 7.53.44 AM.png
I found several videos of it in action on YouTube as well.

OliviaMeekins57
Website

Posted Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:00 am

Oh my! I remember playing this as a child! I've spent countless hours having so much fun and showing this game to my friends. Too bad I sold this handheld many years ago. I'd totally play this game again and keep it for my kids to see how games used to look like :D

Return to “Retro Corner”