obitus1990
New Orleans, LA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:26 pm

My love for 70s/80s tech goes beyond just the Amiga and Commodore 64. My latest hobby is building reproduction arcade cabinets, which run the original hardware when possible. Right now, I am working on one of my favorite games from the early 80s, Konami Track & Field. I've many memories of playing this against my brothers at Showbiz Pizza Place BITD.

I cut all the parts out 2 weeks ago from 3/4" baltic birch, then laminated them with formica. Last weekend, I assembled it, and it came out pretty nice. I have to do a little paint work, then I'll have my brother print out the artwork for me. I have to get myself a metal bending brake to make the control panel and also a set of metal cutting dies to cut the button holes in the metal panel. I have a coin door on order to make it a true coin-op game. Once I get all of that, I'll install the original Track and Field PCB stack in there and invite my brothers over to kick their asses like it's 1984 again :)

Unfortunately, I think I will have to use an LCD panel for this build, as I cannot get my hands on an arcade CRT locally, but, I will at least install some kind of scan-line simulator inline between the game board and monitor to make it look more CRT-like (I'll probably build another GBS-Control modded GBS-8200 for this).

Here's my progress so far...
IMG_2014.jpg

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA
Website

Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:38 pm

Very cool. I have several arcade PCB's around, and a NAOMI setup I need to build out.

Very nice looking cab!

A Track and Field pcb stack is a crazy thing. like 3 pcb stack or something sandwhiched together from memory. not the most fun thing to troubleshoot and fix.

obitus1990
New Orleans, LA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:48 pm

Track and Field is a 2 PCB stack. One is the sound board, and the other is the CPU/MPU/graphics board. Not too terrible, but, just like Amiga, there are custom chips that can fail, rendering it useless. Thankfully, though, FPGA based clones are available for some of them, made by a fellow in Italy.

Now, old Williams board stacks on the other hand...what a nightmare...3-4 PCBs all daisy chained together with ribbon cables.

Return to “Retro Corner”