intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:01 pm

No need for those glasses - you read that title correctly. Aleksi Eeben has created and released an "Unexpanded VIC 20 port/adaptation" of Archon based on the original game by Anne Westfall, Jon Freeman and Paul Reiche III released in 1983.

All of the game's icon graphics are based entirely on the C64 version and were copied meticulously with only a few slight modifications so that they'd fit in the VIC 20's aspect ratio. The title screen is Aleksi's take on the original art found in the game manual.

archon1.png
archon2.jpeg
archon3.jpeg
archon4.jpeg

You can download the game here and fire it up in your favorite emulator of play it on your classic hardware.

Due to the VIC's extreme memory constraints, a few changes to the original C64 version had to be made. You can read about them in Aleksi's release notes when you download the game. Regardless, I doubt many VIC 20 fans will mind one bit. :commodore: :joystick:

Very cool!

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:07 am

This *so* impressive!!

Archon was one of the games that probably had a certain impact on me as a person. I always wanted „light“ to win. I couldn’t stand the idea to let darkness = evil win.

The people behind Archon are quite interesting as well. One of the designers, Jon Freeman, co-founded Epyx games!

You can find interesting things about Jon Freeman. Check out this game review, where he has some polarising ideas put into the game:

Also, I would highly recommend to check out the digital antiquarian with a note on Free(man) [and] (West)fall.

Cheers,
McT

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:20 am

That is SO awesome! :joystick:

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”