intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:23 am

A couple days ago site member Crispy brought to my attention a program he wrote nearly 30 years ago for the C64 called Digimaster. It's a rather impressive sound sampler and editor crafted specifically for the Commodore 64.
171476.png

The software was to be used with a sound sampler device plugged into the user port. The hardware was never sold, but he provided schematics so people could build their own back in the day.

With the software today, however, you can just load sampled sounds from disk and then edit and play them.

From CSDB:
Incorporated into its operation are many powerful features, such as Cut, Copy, and Paste, which makes editing sound as easy as editing text in a word processor.

There is even a utility included which will convert Amiga sound samples, giving you access to a vast library of sounds.

Probably the most impressive feature of this software is its ability to replay sounds in true eight-bit digital audio on your Commodore 64 without the need for extra hardware. This is made possible by a revolutionary method of controlling the sound chip inside the Commodore 64. The result is crystal clear audio reproduction.

It appears to respond to each SID a touch differently. I needed to increase my "Filter Cutoff" settings to 150 to get audio out that I could hear.

The interface of the program is very slick and highly polished. It honestly feels more like an Amiga interface than a C64 one. It also supports either a joystick or 1351 mouse. I used my Suncom Icon Troller to move the cursor and adjust settings.

Kind of funny. The pointer he designed back then looks surprisingly like someone else's OS 1.3 Workbench pointer.
IMG_8628.JPG

Now where have I seen that before? :)
Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 10.18.45 AM.png

:commodore: <3

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:57 am

Thats Cool. I remember digi files very well. I still have quite a few disks with them and we used to download them from local BBSs and Q-Link. I am pretty sure I have an editor but I don't remember this one. I might have been in 486 land by 1993/1994 so I could have missed it.

What did the device look like that plugged into the user port? I have a userport device that allows you to play mod files and has its own output port but i don't really use it as what's the point when you have an Amiga that can do that so well.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”