TommyE

Posted Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:26 pm

😂👍I think most, if not all of us in here will be fine with that.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:30 pm

This past weekend I went to my friend dddaaannn's house to test some physical C64 cartridges as well as an Amiga mouse on his Mega65 (M65). Being an official member of the Mega team (his monthly newsletter is fantastic, by the way) he has a new board rev and wanted to do a little testing with real hardware. Plus, it gave us an impromptu excuse to hang out and nerd out over the Mega65 together.

It was a lot of fun seeing and listening to Dan’s passion. It was also incredibly eye-opening. As I drove home that afternoon I began to realize I simply didn’t have the motivation nor the drive to do the M65 justice. I was disappointed but I was being completely honest with myself. With so few of these machines in existence it seemed a waste and borderline crime for me to leave it in storage.

It’s a remarkable computer with a lot of very smart people working to support, improve and enhance it over time. I honestly feel I had nothing to offer beyond wishing what I hoped it would become some day. And frankly I think placing my personal hopes on it were misguided.

After I got home I went and looked up my original pre-order confirmations from 2021 (that was a fun day). Then I looked at my shipping documents which were still in the original shipping box. I’d received the computer in the summer of 2022. I’ll never forget the feeling I had when I pulled the Mega65 box out of the packaging for the first time. I felt like I’d been transported backwards in time. It was an amazing feeling. Christmas in June.

But Saturday night it occurred to me that since those first few weeks I may have only used the computer once.

I took some photos of it and put it on Ebay at a price that covered my original investment plus the shipping I paid to get it all the way from Germany. I posted it and went to bed.

Then next morning when I woke up it had already sold. I dropped it off at the post office today.

It felt weird sending it off like that but deep down I figured if this buyer became passionate and engaged they’d offer the M65 community a lot more than I ever have. I sincerely hope that’s indeed what happens. And I look forward to living vicariously through Dan. At least for now.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:12 pm

@ intric8

I hope it went to a good home and that it won't pop up on EBay again for a much higher price than you sold it for. I bought mine and it's been setup in my mancave and getting regular use and I originally bought it to be a future proof backup for my original C64 that I bought in 1984 but im finding myself also dabbling with basic again and sprites on the MEGA65 and trying out new stuff on it so I'm very happy with my purchase

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”