Appee

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:56 am

I've been wanting a PAL Commodore 64 to compliment my NTSC 128. I ordered one knowing it had a damaged case thinking I could shore it up. I bought it from Egypt. I think customs ripped out the motherboard without unscrewing. The motherboard is free floating in the case. I'm thinking I might be able to screw up from outside the case and swap to machined screws with two nuts to keep things in place, but wow is it bad. At least the keyboard feels fantastic...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:28 pm

@Appee where are you located? I know of a ton of C64's here in the US looking for new homes. (Granted, they are likely to be NTSC.)

The UK and Germany Ebay stores would be my next target.

Appee

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:01 pm

I'm Orlando, Florida. I burned my budget for the next month or so, but recommendations are appreciated. If a Commodore 64 just needs a rescue, I'm up for a drive as long as I'm not driving more than 90 minutes since I have a little one I'd have to subject to the drive as well.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:56 pm

The built in standoffs in the 64 case are, as with the rest of the case, very brittle. I would not be surprised if they all broke off simply from the shipping journey. You can 3d print standoffs that you can glue into the case after you have removed remnants of the old standoffs. Its best to have a drill bit or toothpick or some piece of material that you can use to align the existing remnant hole with the new standoff. I have done this several times and it works great. I use JB PlastiWeld Epoxy.

Here is a link on thingiverse to a case repair 3d print that includes the standoffs.

If you don't have a 3d printer I can easily print a set of them for you and mail them to you in a first class envelope. You can also buy kits at Retro Rewind and eBay. The kits will usually have the alignment tool and other case pieces that break.

Appee

Posted Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm

I always forget about the 3d print option. I have a local friend that I'll buy and see if I can get them in his queue. Thank you for the suggestion and for the offer!

Appee

Posted Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:41 am

Whelp, my power supply adapter arrived today in the mail. Tested out the PAL system and got a black screen video signal. The system might have a bad led so I think my next step will be to get a replacement PLA chip. Guh....

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”