3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:59 am

JimDrew wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 pm
The new keycap color simulator is now available! This will give you an idea of what different main keycap and function keycap colors would look like. I will have the C64C case (with various colors) added in the future. If we reach the final stretch goal you will be able to choose different colors for the main keycaps and the function keycaps!
Here is a link to the keycap color simulator: http://www.retrokeycaps.com
Great idea, Jim. A picture paints a thousand words.
Neue-C64II-Gehäuse_DE_2016-3.jpg
When you add the C64C case, those colors from the Pixelwizard cases would be cool. Picture is owned by Pixelwizard.

Also, if I may suggest, you could add alternative Breadbin colors too, such as the C16 Black, the VIC20 Beige, or even this one:
IMG_20190811_010013.jpg

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 am

The upgraded Keycap Color Simulator is awsome! After some experimenting, I got a nice solution for having different color F-keys by simply mixing my preferrend set colors. Anyway, I cross my finger for the campaign reaching its final stretch goal.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:34 am

So close to last stretch goal. I put in another pledge because of the awesome new colors.

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:30 am

Thanks to everyone! The campaign is over! We won! ;)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm

What's the latest on this with everything being shut down?

rpiguy9907

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:45 pm

obitus1990 wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:37 pm
What's the latest on this with everything being shut down?
He updates Indiegogo pretty regularly. Unlike Kickstarter I don’t get emails every time I have to go look.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keyc ... pdates/all

The money is collecting interest while we wait for China to restart, which he believes isn’t really happening to the extent the Chinese government would have us believe.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:02 pm

Thank you. As an aside, why would anyone believe ANYTHING that the Chinese government says, regardless of this crisis or not?

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:40 am

Especially anything involving the Covid-19 crisis.
A plausibility check with the funerals in China indicates that the deaths are a magnitude higher than official numbers.

rpiguy9907

Posted Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:50 pm

JimDrew wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:30 am
Thanks to everyone! The campaign is over! We won! ;)
Jim, great update on the Indiegogo! If the new caps are truly dye sublimated and not laser ablated they will last forever!

The legends rubbing off on your keyboard only happens if they are lasered or pad printed. Double shot and dye sub don’t fade :-)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:58 am

From Jim Drew, in an update on Nov 26 for the keycaps campaign (which is looking like it will be dyesub) :
Finalzing printing and shipping
So, getting tooling and plastic has been completed sorted out.

The remaining issue, which I think is pretty big is that there is an unknown about the longivity of the keycap printing. The printing process is a dye-sub "print" with a masked clear coat. That sounds great, but I have a keyboard from China that I have been using for the last 5 months and I have numerous keycaps with absolutely no printing left - they are completely black. I don't know if this will be a real concern for people using C64's because I don't think the actual use will be very high. But this is a concern, and one that I have had from the very beginning that was answered (with proof) from the keycap manufacturer that I had doing this job originally.

I have asked to determine what the print cost difference would be using a 3rd party company (neither of these two companies can do anything but dye-sub printing) to either do pad printing or (preferably) UV printing.

With 80% of the keycaps going to Germany (thanks guys!) it only makes sense to have these shipped directly, so that is being arranged. I have seen that a lot of people have updated their addresses. I am keeping that open for as long as possible. Once I close that, you won't be able to update your address. I will keep that open until I have finished samples overnighted to me.

So, I will have to make a decision this week to just go with the dye-sub process if we can't find another company to just run the printing.

Wow! 80%?? That kind of blows me away. I bought 4 sets myself. I wonder if there were a few "whales" in Germany that bought a ton of sets for whatever reason? Or did they just have that much more demand/customers? I would have thought the US and UK would have eaten up at least 50% combined. Amazing.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”