Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:22 pm

Wow! 950 Euros, that is insane. I will stick to my clunky original keyboard before I would ever pay that.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:38 pm

rpiguy9907 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:28 pm
obitus1990 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:34 pm
I'd like to buy a kit from you. I just finished a SixtyClone board that I want to put into a clear PixelWizard case and this would finish it off since I don't have any spare keyboards.

PM sent.
Ok since you are willing to solder it yourself here is the total cost:

Code: Select all

$   2.96     PCB from China
$   3.73     All surface mount components except switches and the cable headers (I already have tons of headers)
$  17.50    Key switches
   ------
$ 24.19

Plus
$ 16.72 for a 1.2MM steel plate
$ 27.72 for a 1.5MM steel plate
$ 26.44 for a 1.6MM aluminum plate
$ 56.81 for a 1.6MM brass plate
$ 85.44 for a 1.5MM Titanium plate

Plus shipping (figure $5-10 USD for CONUS)
In order to finish this build you would need some way to mount the plate (I haven't gotten that far yet I am just about to order an unbent plate and see if I can make it work).

You will also need a 40 pin IDE cable or 20pin custom cable, the 3D printed keycap adaptors, and costar stabilizers (can be ordered from Aliexpress, eBay, or directly from Matias in Canada).

Still interested? It is a lot of work to put one of these together :-)
Yes, I am still interested. I somehow missed your reply and just went back to check on the thread since it popped back into my memory :)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm

I'm still wanting to buy a kit from you...

Out of curiosity, will the PCB fit in a regular old C64 keyboard frame? I have a pretty much dead keyboard PCB in one of my 64s. More than half the keys no longer work because the carbon contacts are destroyed due to the machine being housed in an extremely humid outside shed for years by the prior owner. I'd like to just salvage the frame and keycaps to adapt them to this PCB, if that is possible.

rpiguy9907

Posted Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:16 am

obitus1990 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:52 pm
I'm still wanting to buy a kit from you...

Out of curiosity, will the PCB fit in a regular old C64 keyboard frame? I have a pretty much dead keyboard PCB in one of my 64s. More than half the keys no longer work because the carbon contacts are destroyed due to the machine being housed in an extremely humid outside shed for years by the prior owner. I'd like to just salvage the frame and keycaps to adapt them to this PCB, if that is possible.
Sorry Obitus1990 I now have n +1 children and the latest has taken up all my time.

PM me your PayPal email and I will send an invoice for shipping and parts. I will send them unsoldered.

Still haven’t figured out the mounting plate. I have one cut by Ponoko awhile back but never tested it.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:52 pm

Received it and assembled the SMD stuff already. But, I don't think I can attach the key switches without getting the bracket, unfortunately, as trying to solder each one in without some kind of guide will result in a ton of crooked keys.

I sent out a RFQ from a US laser cutting/metal fabricator, and am waiting to hear back. Also sent one to the chinese company that MtnBuffalo used (really don't want to use China though, thanks to the 'gift' they gave the rest of their world due to their carelessness and incompetence).

rpiguy9907

Posted Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm

obitus1990 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Received it and assembled the SMD stuff already. But, I don't think I can attach the key switches without getting the bracket, unfortunately, as trying to solder each one in without some kind of guide will result in a ton of crooked keys.
You can test the PCB using tweezers or a loose wire to bridge the switch pads, simulating a key press. That’s what I did with mine.

If you get a deal on metal brackets order one for me and I’ll gladly pay you. You might get better pricing for more than one.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:21 pm

So, I got a few quotes from various laser cutting/bending/metal fab places in the US. Sorry, but I am not spending $300+ on a single prototype. The price goes down to about $100 each if ordered in quantity of ten from the least expensive option.

Unfortunately, I think I'll have to send it to the commies in china if their quote comes in significantly lower.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:22 pm

Almost done... now if only Jim Drew's keycap campaign would come to fruition...
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:53 pm

That blue case is my current favorite and daily driver. It looks so great.

rpiguy9907

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:52 pm

obitus1990 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Almost done... now if only Jim Drew's keycap campaign would come to fruition...

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg
Looking great! Did you end up printing the plate or having it cut?

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”