intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:05 am

I've been hunting for a blue kickstarter case for a few years now. Oh, I'd seen them pop up on Ebay from time to time but I refused to pay over $200 for one. I have a cream colored KS case and snagged it 4 or 5 years ago for $24, and that felt like a total bargain (it was).

And the cream colored case looks awesome IMO if you have the breadbin keycap setup. I also bought a custom printed case badge, and placed it on yet another metal badge to make it stick out more.

This is what I originally had:
creamcoloredKScase.jpg
A couple of weeks ago, a blue case popped up on Ebay and in auction format. My radar was sent on high alert, but I told myself, "Self, no more than $100. No exceptions." I figured if the price goes higher than a brand new Pixel Wizard case, I'm out.

I dropped a max-bid of $100 on there, and watched that final day as someone else bid up and up and up, all the way to $92. Then they suddenly stopped.

I waited.

Those last 60 seconds were brutal, and I was certain when the time elapsed the page would refresh to show me I'd just lost to someone who bid $101 or some crap.

But then... to my complete surprise, I won!

Fast forward to August 14, my wife's birthday, which we spent outdoors paddle boarding with the kids and generally having a great time. Yet back home, a box waited for me to return. Late last night I finally cut it open.

And there it was.
IMG_8863.jpg
Marty could barely believe his eyes. Was it from the past? The future? Who knows, but he liked what he saw.

I had been planning for this day for a long time so I immediately got to work. I love the cream case, but I wanted this more for so long! No sense in waiting.
IMG_8864.jpg
Is that a heavenly choir singing?

IMG_8866.jpg
What am I to do with this spare case? Decisions decisions.

IMG_8867.jpg
This machine is my NTSC C64 Reloaded MK2 (I wish it was an MK1 but that's just a minor quibble) with one of my Mechboard64 keyboards. It has become one of my absolute favorite C64s in my collection. Thanks again, MtnBuffalo!

IMG_8871.jpg
And this is the color scheme I've wanted for. Ev. Ah!

IMG_8872.jpg
I needed to source 2 rubber feet for it (no biggie). I also used my own case badge with a blue design, placed on top of a metal badge to make it all stick up more and be more prominent. I like the way that looks!

IMG_8869.JPG
Ah, Commodore blue all the way around. I love it when a plan comes together!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've some C64'ing to do. Have you played the new puzzle game Grid Pix by Carleton Handley yet? Well what are we waiting for? <3 <3

rpiguy9907

Posted Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:54 am

It even matches the RAMLink logo!

Congratulations it is a very sharp looking case.

grshaw

Posted Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:58 am

Looks Awesome with the dark PETSCII keycaps from an original Breadbin Case. Beautiful. :D

Bulletdust

Posted Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:42 am

I've got a brand new clear kickstarter 64C case still in it's box, I always planned to use it to build a 'new' 64C but never actually got around to it.

The one thing that really disappointed me regarding the kickstarter cases was the 'badge' sticker - It was papery rubbish! I see you swapped yours for a decent badge.

Good job, looks nice. I love my 8 bit C64's.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 pm

Bulletdust wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:42 am
The one thing that really disappointed me regarding the kickstarter cases was the 'badge' sticker - It was papery rubbish! I see you swapped yours for a decent badge.
If you're looking for badges, Pixelwizard has quite e few available and their qualitly is pretty good.

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:15 pm

3D-vice wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 pm
Bulletdust wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:42 am
If you're looking for badges, Pixelwizard has quite e few available and their qualitly is pretty good.
They look awesome! Cheers.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”