Bulletdust

Posted Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:14 am

Has anyone ever created a JaffyDOS.bin using the JaffyDOS patcher under Vice?

As seen by the screenshots below, I've been trying for hours and have effectively got nowhere. No matter what I do I get a 'Wrong file or I/O Error.'

Posting some screenshots, can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

And yes, it's a legitimate JiffyDOS ROM file that I bought. Any advice would really be appreciated before I slam my head in the door.

Bulletdust

Posted Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:22 am

Well, after mucking about with Dirmaster to create a D64 with the patching utility as well as the .BIN rom file - Which oddly enough didn't work; I checked file permissions, found an issue and tried the procedure under VICE again and success!

At last I have JaffyDOS 1.3 installed complete with the black default screen with blue text that I've wanted on my C64 since I was about 14 years old. Much easier on the eyes as well as the good old 1084S. Gotta think of that tube, they're getting rare now.

jdryyz

Posted Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 am

Hi.

What version of VICE is that?

Do you happen to know if JaffyDOS is compatible with the pi1541's file browser?

Bulletdust

Posted Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 am

jdryyz wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:16 am
Hi.

That is Vice version 3.4.

If the pi1541's file browser is compatible with JiffyDOS, than it should be compatible with JaffyDOS. Having said that, JaffyDOS actually has it's own file browser.

jdryyz

Posted Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks.I discovered the 3.4 version by watching a YouTuber recently. Looks like an improved interface from previous versions.

Yeah, I tested JaffyDOS' built in file browser. JaffyDOS has some quirks still. Not sure if it is due to the pi 1541's browser or JaffyDOS itself. I will continue to watch the development on both.

Bulletdust wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 am
jdryyz wrote:
Hi.

If the pi1541's file browser is compatible with JiffyDOS, than it should be compatible with JaffyDOS. Having said that, JaffyDOS actually has it's own file browser.

Bulletdust

Posted Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:34 pm

jdryyz wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am
Thanks.I discovered the 3.4 version by watching a YouTuber recently. Looks like an improved interface from previous versions.

Yeah, I tested JaffyDOS' built in file browser. JaffyDOS has some quirks still. Not sure if it is due to the pi 1541's browser or JaffyDOS itself. I will continue to watch the development on both.

Bulletdust wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 am
jdryyz wrote:
Hi.

Really? What quirks?

I'm using JaffyDOS with my 1541 Ultimate II+ and it works perfectly.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”