obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:06 pm

Here's my sixtyclone... I finished it about 3 months ago and recently debugged the board (which wasn't working with my ultimate 1541 due to a trace that needed to be cut on the motherboard [routing error]).

The case was an old, beat up yellowed case and several of the screw bosses/pylons had broken off, as well as the case clasps. I fixed all of that with epoxy, 3d printed parts, and heatset fillings. I had to bondo a few gouges in the plastic and sand them out, as well.

I spray painted the case with krylon fusion Khaki camouflage paint (3 coats, followed by 3 coats of matte clear). What do you think of the color?
IMG_0349.jpg
"under the hood"
IMG_0364 2.jpg
All the parts were transferred from a dead 64 that had trace damage. I repaired that board, and it was working until about 6 months ago, when it died again. This time, it was the CPU that gave up the ghost. So, I had to purchase a new one. eBay scalpers were asking over $50 for the CPU, so I had to source one elsewhere. The machine fired up, but, failed the dead test color RAM tests, so, I bought two new RAM ICs. I am using a LumaTOLB under the VIC-II, and a PLAnkton for the PLA. If the SID should die, I'd replace it with an FPGASID, I think. She's now my primary 64 :). I am debating getting a pixelwizard clear 64C case, but, can't justify the cost...and I like the breadbin better anyway, since that's what my childhood 64 was. Now, if only Jim Drew can get the keycap replacement project off the ground, I could build myself a new Mechboard to use on it....sigh.
Last edited by obitus1990 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 4 times in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:45 pm

Looks great! Beautiful work, man.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:15 pm

Wonderful!

Do you notice any difference from the PLAnkton or any negative side effects from the LimaTOLB?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:09 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:15 pm
Wonderful!

Do you notice any difference from the PLAnkton or any negative side effects from the LimaTOLB?
None that I've noticed with the PLAnkton, but, the LumaTOLB seemingly makes the VIC-II get very hot compared to when only the VIC-II is installed. Heatsinks are the next thing that will be added.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:45 am

Looks amazing. It almost needs a clear case so we can see all that wonderful stuff inside.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”