Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Double-Sided games is taking pre-orders for this new game, don't break the balls. It looks like it will be cool and they have Boxed floppy, Cartridge, tape and digital.

The bad news is that since double-sided is now in France the shipping to North America is expensive. IE, Hired Sword II the shipping was $10 CAD, roughly $8US. The shipping for this new game is 28 Euros, roughly $33US. So i guess it is digital for me because i am not willing to pay that much shipping. Interestingly enough they said the shipping charges were going to stay the same for North America with their announcement to be open in Europe.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:29 am

This is a tough one. I was a beta tester for DBTB and we were done for the most part quite a long time ago. But when Jeremie moved from Canada back to France in 2020, his entire DSD business was thrown in total limbo. It took him forever just to get the business set back up again over there.

Once that process concluded, the whole Brexit sh**show started to reveal itself to small business owners not just in Europe but here in the US, too. Folks in the US were being told they'd have to manage tax charges while folks in Europe were being told they'd not only have to mess with that but also obnoxious shipping fees to the US for the foreseeable future.

Bottom line is some notable folks decided to simply stop selling this way or that. They just amputated entire sections of their business. And yeah, the shipping charges are now the cost (or oftentimes many times more) than the actual game, which for many simply is hard to justify except under very rare circumstances. It really seems to depend on the country. Like, I just bought a new game out of Germany that had kinda normal fees, but it will likely take many months to arrive as it is put on the back of a whale and swims to my location.

I can guarantee you this is going to make it very hard for DSD to maintain the same loyal customer base they once enjoyed, which is tragic.

It really sucks.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:42 am

Yeah that really does suck. On the plus side I received my Hired Sword map over the weekend.

The world scene is a bit messy right now so i hope all this stuff levels out. This is the reason I stopped placing orders at ICOMP because the only shipping option they had was well over $50 USD for even a small order. Hopefully they can figure out something else, perhaps bulk shipping to a USA region seller or something similar to what Protovision apparently does.

Until then I will still purchase digital copies to support the projects, but I much prefer physical editions.

What are your thoughts on the game, since you were a tester? Or is it too early to talk about it?

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”