rpiguy9907

Posted Fri May 14, 2021 9:04 am

After watching many videos where the 8-bit Guy and Adrian Black remove adhesive gunk from computers with a heat gun I decided to try and remove the leftover double sided tape from a C64.

The heat gun worked wonderfully on the adhesive gunk - however, I was so focused on the gunk and happy that it was working I failed to notice that the non-functional vent slats were catching all the hot air and self-destructing.

This was with the heat gun on the lowest setting! I guess I'll have to use that white Kickstarter case I was saving in the closet for a build.

:-(
Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 12.00.00 PM.png

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am

Oh no!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri May 14, 2021 5:30 pm

oh wow. Yeah that could be a problem with heat guns. For stuff like that I use Goo Gone or Wd-40 and leave it soak for a few minutes. I have yet to find any kind of adhesive that it doesn't work on. I then follow it up with IPA or wash it with soap and water to get that stuff off.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon May 17, 2021 6:57 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:30 pm
oh wow. Yeah that could be a problem with heat guns. For stuff like that I use Goo Gone or Wd-40 and leave it soak for a few minutes. I have yet to find any kind of adhesive that it doesn't work on. I then follow it up with IPA or wash it with soap and water to get that stuff off.
^^^ so much THIS.

Here's another tip...if someone has hot-glued something (like a switch or port) into a plastic case, or, if they've used hot glue to stabilize a circuit board repair, and you need to remove it, get a piece of gauze, soak it in IPA and let it sit on the hot glue for a minute or two. Squeeze the IPA onto the glue a few times to saturate it, and in a matter of minutes, it pops right off. No risk of damaging anything like that.

FWIW, every time I see the 8bit guy use a barbecue pit lighter on heat shrink tubing in his videos, it makes me cringe. He's not one whose advice I'd follow on proper repair technique.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:56 am

obitus1990 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:57 am
FWIW, every time I see the 8bit guy use a barbecue pit lighter on heat shrink tubing in his videos, it makes me cringe.
OMG, that's beyond insane! He should just buy a cheap $3 soldering iron, just for that purpose, if need be.

SMH

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”