Olem
Norway

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:43 am

Hi folks, just want to share a few pictures. Earlier I had some great fun soldering up Rob Taylor's SixtyClone boards. So, why stop there? There's a LOT of cool C64 stuff beeing reverse engineered and designed from the ground up at the moment, like that amazing handheld design that was posted here some time ago. For my project this time, I chose the KU-14194-board that Bwack reverse engineered a couple of years back. Got PCBs made from his gerbers at JLCPCB, with that sweet golden ENIG finish. It's a straight up remake of a rather rare, early C64 design that I don't think was ever sold in the US. Bwack states that it's a PAL only, and from what I understand it was mainly made in 1982, about the same period when the more common 326298 boards were produced.
ku2.jpg
The board has flaws that Bwack has kept, so to make it work it is necessary to cut a trace under R37 and bodge in a resistor to a via right beside C31.
ku1.jpg
Now old Commodore ROMs are not the most reliable things, so this time I'm trying out the replacements from DIYChris. Works well and looks good! Also note the 6510 here: It's a NOS chip from Retro 8bit Shop. G0pher who runs the store, bought a batch that originated in the old Commodore warehouse in the Netherlands. It's a CSG-branded part, and the datecode is week 36 of 1991 - meaning that these might be some of the latest 6510 ever made. By this time Commodore had long since moved on to the Commodore C64C with the 8500 processor.
ku3.jpg
SID prices are getting silly, and the ARMSID is certainly a good replacement. Went with a NeatPLA to match the looks! I'm using an old modulator can here, it's recapped and works as well as these old part can. Harvested both the modulator and some connectors and other things from an old 250407 board with too many lifted pads and traces to be worth repairing.
ku4.jpg
So, this thing needs a case. For a completly bald gentleman, I have a surprising number of haircare products, but they come in handy when fixing up yellowed plastic. This one turned out nice.
ku5.jpg
Since I've got a couple of C64Cs, it's nice to have some visual cues to keep them apart. So I got a cool badge from Lukparts, they're on Etsy.
ku6.jpg
I've got a spare MechBoard64 that'll probably use for this, with Cherry MX Clears. Now I'm just waiting for the keycaps from mr. Drew! I think grey ones would look really nice, but we'll see. One thing to note is that to use these kind of longboards in C64C cases, you need a special kind of keyboard mounts, like these:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/RQ5UF ... -64c-cases
ku7.jpg
So, on to the next project. Matthias who designed the handheld C64 has made a lot of other stuff too, picked up this one, looks like fun!
ae1.jpg
Cheers,
Olem.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:26 am

Really cool project, Olem! Thanks for sharing all the details and those fantastic photos.

Does the video from the board look nice and sharp? What monitor are you using with it?

:commodore: <3

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:11 am

Also - for the Pulse Rifle, do you know if it can use NTSC chips? I can't see anywhere if that board is PAL-only or can be used with US-based chips and PSU.

Olem
Norway

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:06 pm

Thanks a lot! The video output is quite nice, rather surprisingly so, since I've only tested the composite out, with a 5-pin DIN, y'know. It's got a 8-pin connector, but I was restoring a 326298 board earlier and had that connector stuck in my TV, and now the other cable has gone missing ;) . But video, yes, quite good. I haven't done a systematic comparison, but the Mitsumi cans of this type often works well in my experience. The one I've got here is marked MD6-UE3603. A recap also helps.
I'm using it now with an old Sony Bravia LCD TV that's seen better days, it took a hit from a lightening strike some time back and the HDMI ports died. Composite and scart still works fine, and I've tuned it to work with C64s. The colours look a bit funny when I connect other stuff :D .
I'm also using a Samsung 245T lcd monitor from 2009, that thing is fantastic, it's got S-video and composite built right in, in addition to HDMI, DVI and VGA. Perfect for retro stuff, but I fear the capacitors in that one are in the process of giving up the ghost.
The Alien Eliminator can do both PAL and NTSC super easy. It's got both oscillators on board, and it's as easy as setting a jumper and changing out the VIC-II. It's also designed to run of an everyday 5V 1A wall wart, so you should have no trouble in the US!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:47 pm

OK great! Thanks for the advice and extra info. I'm going to look into one of those Alien "plasma rifles".

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:54 am

@Olem,

I got my PCBs today for the Alien Exterminator. :ghost:

I see the BOM and all of the listed parts. But it appears to only list the C64 motherboard parts. Do you understand where the additional parts for the LCD monitor, LEDs, laser, etc. and what not would be sourced and how to assemble the blaster?

EDIT
In addition, where does one find or sign up for the "Blaster Accessory Board Set?"

Olem
Norway

Posted Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:57 am

Congrats, have fun soldering! I'm not quite done yet, still waiting for a few parts. No, I'm not sure about the blaster accessory kit. Figured I'd get the board running first, and the decide what to do with it. Did you get hold of Matthias? Saw your post over at forum64.de. He used to hang out a lot there, don't know why he quit the site.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am

I did get ahold of Mattias, yes. He created his own forum called loop64. It's so locked down, there's not much there except for him. He left the other site, from what I can gather, as having felt insulted and abused for some reason.

I don't think the blaster stuff is ready for prime time, and I'm not sure how to go about assembling it (or if even all the C64 components are necessary or not) so I'm just putting my stuff on the shelf for now until more info is provided.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:26 pm

@ Olem

awesome new C64 board thanks for posting :commodore: <3

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”