Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:25 pm

intric8 wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:42 pm
I also got this email.

I have a theory (or a guess) about what triggered it to arrive today. Or, it could be 100% coincidence. But yesterday a friend of mine decided to ask for a refund, which was given quickly with no questions asked. Then today we got this email.

Maybe he wasn't the only one in recent days...
He wasn't the only one. I too got a refund last month. Since the delays and uncertainty in the supply chain and the lack of (or frequency of) communication I think you are right on with your theory.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:55 pm

He wasn't the only one. I too got a refund last month. Since the delays and uncertainty in the supply chain and the lack of (or frequency of) communication I think you are right on with your theory.
You know, they are actually quite quick to comment over in their discord server. But their public facing communications are non-existent. I think it's likely due to they all being so busy (or burned out) that public outreach is the last thing on their minds. But honestly it doesn't that that much time and effort to send out a quick status update from time to time, even if there's nothing to report. Heck, over on the cbmstuff keycaps Jim Drew has sent out no less than 99 updates!

I don't blame folks for pulling out. The thought of all of those pre-assembled machines just sitting in a storage facility awaiting the official packaging truly sucks. But, I'm OK with waiting. The fact that they've refunded some folks already speaks volumes to me compared to the bottomless pit that Kickstarter has become.

When they said March I inwardly hoped for Fall 2022. We'll see... the fact that some Chinese factories are reportedly shutting down again doesn't help, though.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:39 pm

@ 3D-vice

Thanks for the update as I haven't received any email up to date but occasionally check the Discord channel so was aware of the delays.....perhaps Trenz is only sending emails to the first 400 people that ordered as anyone else was told that it would be later than March of this year ?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:32 am

A1-X1000 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:39 pm
@ 3D-vice

Thanks for the update as I haven't received any email up to date but occasionally check the Discord channel so was aware of the delays.....perhaps Trenz is only sending emails to the first 400 people that ordered as anyone else was told that it would be later than March of this year ?
You are very welcome. Yes, it indeed could be that Trenz has reached out for those first 400. Well, since I am not in a hurry, I'll just patiently await the arrival. :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 pm

I went with a beige monitor to maintain the proper vibes. 8-)
FShwg83VEAEgiFt.jpg

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu May 12, 2022 12:20 am

Gratz on the arrival of your Mega65, Eric! :)

Out of curiosity: On Discord and the Support Forum, some people have claimed the following issue:
The two halves of the case do not fit together properly. I noticed as soon as I unpacked it that the back half of the case is unstable and creaks.
See photo (this is from the Forum64):
IMG_7527.jpeg
This seems to be on the back side of the case...

There has also been a reply from the Mega65-Team already:
The problem has been reported to us 3 times now. We have contacted Hintsteiner (the mould producing company) about this and they report that:
- The dimensioning of the shell is 100% correct but
- when cooling down after the shells have been separated from the mold, a warpage < 1mm inwards has happened with some housings. (They think maybe some upper or lower shells were separated too early from the tool).

The easiest solution might be to use a hair dryer (not a hot air dryer !) to slightly heat the lower shell of the housing and gently press it outward, or to slightly heat the upper shell and press it inward. The difference is as said < 1mm.

Otherwise, Hintsteiner has offered to send us a revised top shell with which we can counter this problem.
Did you notice any problems with the case on your machine @intric8 ?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu May 12, 2022 6:21 am

IMG_20220512_1427260_sm.jpg
Mine has arrived some minutes ago, yay! :)

IMG_20220512_1432284_sm.jpg
I am eager to have fun with this beauty.

However, the above mentioned issue with the fitting problem of the upper and lower halves of the case... well, mine has the same issue, unfortunately. To be honest, I did not expect this "lack of fitting precision" to be an issue on a machine worth of 700,- Euros. I think I'll contact the seller and see what they say...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 12, 2022 6:50 am

The issue is with mine as well, and two other people that got theirs yesterday. It's very noticeable and something we wall commented on almost immediately.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 12, 2022 8:35 am

@3D-vice, I dropped a note on their discord here trying to bring the issue to their attention.

Perhaps Like or Comment on the video to share your similar situation. The more people talk about it, perhaps the more they'll actively promote a solution (ideally beyond a hair dryer and a prayer).

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri May 13, 2022 8:20 am

Hey guys!

I had another issue with my new Mega65: I noticed that the Disk eject button is stuck / jammed. When I insert a floppy disk, it does not slide in completely, since the eject button does not slide out completely.

This is also a know issue which is being discussed over on Discord. From my point of observation, this has nothing to do with the case screws being tightened too much, or with the plastic part of the Disk eject button being incorrectly rotated. Also, the guide shaft of the case is definitely not too tight or warped.

The solution to fix this is quite simple (at least in my case):

I slightly loosened the 4 screws (at the bottom of the Mega65) that hold the drive in place, so the drive has slight play. I then inserted a floppy disk into the drive and it worked fine (and the eject button moved out properly).

After I tightened the 4 screws again with the disk inserted, the disk eject button worked properly.

Conclusion: The alignment of the internal floppy drive was not quite correct, which had caused the eject button to have too much friction in its guide.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”