Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:37 pm

Ok I got it to where it works every time. This could have been the way I did it before years ago but I don't remember. You have to hit RESTORE for 4 seconds or so then after you let it up you have to press the power switch up to reset the system. then it will reset into the other KERNAL. In your case JiffyDOS. If you want to go back to the original KERNAL you can power cycle or repeat hitting RESTORE for 4 seconds then reset button.

So RESTORE does switch the KERNAL but you have to reset the system for it to boot into it.

EDIT: Oh I see this is the way you already quoted that doesn't work. Hmm. Maybe try a different EPROM? I can send you the one I made if you want? It is an SST 27SF256 flash ROM. You can erase it and reprogram it anytime you want.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm

Yeah it's not working for me. Hm. I'll hold that restore key down for a good 6-7 seconds then do the reset. The side borders will get "fatter" than usual then the screen flicks back to good ol' Commodore blue. Mystifying!

To be clear - you have an NTSC chip setup, and you didn't do anything fancy with your jumpers on the board?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:53 pm

intric8 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 pm
To be clear - you have an NTSC chip setup, and you didn't do anything fancy with your jumpers on the board?
Yep. Nothing fancy. An 8580 SID and 8562 VIC II (NTSC) and a genuine 8701 clock chip in place of the PAL iComp replacement. I suppose it could be the EPROM. It has been known to happen that one could give issues. Do you have any others?

After reading the directions on the iComp site it doesn't say anything about having to reset after ROM switching. I think it should do that by itself but i am not sure as it doesn't work for me.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:17 pm

Do you have any others?
Yeah, I have 2 extras. I can try this again next week for sure.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:11 am

Well, this is embarrassing. I'm going to hide behind a shroud of shame and blame it on all of the meds I've been on this week. :oops:

This morning I decided to start to eliminate variables. First: determine if my Restore key - which is part of my immaculate MechBoard64 even works. I figured there was no way that keyboard could have bad switches/keys, but I had to start somewhere.

I mean, I almost never use the RESTORE key to begin with so what did I know?

I found a small program that, after entering a short POKE command, the RESTORE key would reset the computer.

I went to type POKE and pressed the letter "P". Nothing!

None of the keys worked!

I took the case apart and... the embarrassment slapped me hard across the face. After installing my MK1 motherboard in its case, I ... forgot to hook up the keyboard.

Thanks for all of your help, Zippy Zapp. Your process works beautifully. Press Restore for 5 seconds and rock that power switch up to reset. Voila!

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:40 am

Hi intric8,

glad you sorted it out. I guess it happens to all of us eventually...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:51 pm

LOL. I think we have all done those sort of things. I am glad it is all working now.

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:14 am

I took the case apart and... the embarrassment slapped me hard across the face. After installing my MK1 motherboard in its case, I ... forgot to hook up the keyboard.
Bah! We all stuff up sometimes, just be thankful your mistake didn't cost you any money.

Just the other day, I dropped a laptop back to a client after a touch screen replacement only to find when I dropped it back that the web cam didn't work - Gawd damn it.

So I bring the device back to the workshop, take it apart, trace the wire from the webcam to the underside of the laptop expecting it to be unplugged - Except it's plugged in...WTF?

Here I am checking every part of the webcam loom through the laptop lid to the underside of the device...All fine?

Then I realize (after about an hour) that I'm tracing the loom through the laptop lid fine, but when I flip the laptop and check the underside I'm looking on the wrong side of the logic board, I'm checking a connector that has nothing to do with the web cam in the slightest!

Look on 'the other side of the board' and there it is...The webcam connector is unplugged, plain as day. [smacks head].

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”