intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:23 am

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.04.38 AM.png
The WiC64 is a Wireless Interface for the Commodore 64/128/VIC-20. It is a WiFi plug-in module for the user port, which connects the C64 (etc.) to the Internet via an 8-bit wide data bus. What makes this so special?

For one, it's quite cheap! Only 24€/$25. I think you have to build a small portion of it, but the build looks simple enough someone with my crap skills could even do it.

From the user manual:
[The WiC64] is a parallel WLAN interface for Commodore computers with user port connection. In contrast to the previously known "modems", the WiC64 works in parallel mode with 8 data lines, 2 handshake lines and one control line. That speeds up data transmission by a factor of 20: The WiC64 can load 202 blocks / 50kb in 2.5 seconds from the internet - via HTTP:// or TCP connection. It gives the computer full access to the internet and the possible applications are almost unlimited. From simple applications such as synchronising the time with an NTP time server via the internet, loading data and programs from web servers or from PHP scripts to complex chat and messaging systems, everything is possible. The complete hardware and software is open source and can be extended as desired.

Interesting notes from the store page:
Important note for SX-64 users:
The user port on the SX-64 must be wired correctly, but it is NOT from the factory - Commodore made an error on the circuit board that must be rectified beforehand...
How to fix, according to the developer.

It also has a "portal," which is in development, where you can chat with other folks and download games. At some stage, this will provide head-to-head games as well.
Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.26.09 AM.png

You can also use the device to set its internal clock and use the internet to keep that time absolutely perfect. Maybe that matters to some C64/128/vic-20 folks?

Since it is open source, there is also an extra component some folks might want to purchase so they can create new features for the device as well.

In any case, I imagine most of us all have WiFi modems to hop around on telnet BBSes these days. For that matter, the BBSes I connect to couldn't handle bonkers speeds - I generally dial in at 9600 baud, which feels plenty fast. But a device that kinda breaks the sound barrier so folks can play online multiplayer games sounds interesting.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:15 pm

I saw this a while back and since I already have a few different WiFi modems already I didn't order one. Until now. I didn't realize it had some built-in services.

Did you order one? Thankfully they have a cheap option for shipping instead if the usual 30 Euros to the USA.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:00 pm

Did you order one?
I haven't, no. I was kinda curious what other's experiences have been, and if it was worth it (or if all the chat was in German - hah!).

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:17 am

intric8 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:00 pm
I haven't, no. I was kinda curious what other's experiences have been, and if it was worth it (or if all the chat was in German - hah!).
LOL. It could be. Since I like new devices I don't mind being the guinea pig.

So far my favorite WiFi modem is probably the WiModem. However, I do like the WiFi Modem Version 05, since it uses the feature rich Zimodem firmware and makes zero noise through the speakers unlike most of the other ones that can cause interference heard through the speakers.
Last edited by Zippy Zapp on Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:33 am

It also works with the reloaded boards which, for some reason, other models don't?
This statement is a bit of a rat's nest from what I remember.

The Reloaded Mk1 was the board with no issues at all based on its chip design "if you change the fake 8701 chip with a real one." When the "improved" Mk2 came out, now it didn't work with Wifi Modems anymore. Like, the one you link to above by CBMStuff famously wouldn't work with the Mk2 board due to crazy video noise and interference.

Jim Drew on Lemon in 2019:
The problem is not your WiFi device. The same video distortion exists with ANY device that is plugged into the user port. This includes Wifi modems, EPROM programmers, video digitizers, audio digitizers, X10, relay controller boards, etc. These all of course work with real C64s.

The issue is the C64 Reloaded Mk2 board itself. The Mk1 works if you change the fake 8701 chip with a real one. The Mk2's design is too sensitive to changes on the 5V rail.
It was bad enough that, over a long period of time I eventually convinced a friend of mine to sell me his (mostly unused) Mk1 so I could retire my Mk2.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:43 pm

Sorry, and thanks for the reminder, I'll fix that. I knew it was something but just remembered that some people had a hard time with them and the one modem that I linked to apparently was not a problem with noise. I only own the MK1 and since I bought it have only used it about 1 hours worth.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:39 pm

Received. Didn't take that long. I have to solder on the user port connector then I will be able to test it.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”