intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:06 pm

After an mountain of work across 5 years, Gregorio Naçu has shipped his long-awaited C64 OS.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 11.48.16 AM.png

This incredible software ships on either a 16MB or 64MB SD card and runs off the CMD native-mode partitions. This means to run C64 OS you'll need one of the following:
  • CMD HD
  • CMD FD
  • RamLink
  • IDE64
  • SD2IEC
But was is it, I know some of you are asking.

Naçu:
C64 OS is a platform ideally suited for a whole new class of application. Applications ready to take advantage of mass storage, wireless networking, and more RAM, in an elegant, modular and expandable system, with a beautiful user experience you'll feel comfortable with from the first click.
Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 11.48.21 AM.png

From the User Manual:
C64 OS is an integrated computing environment for the Commodore 64 that is fast, fun and easy to use. It gives you multiple customizable desktops to launch into the programs you use most often, powerful tools for managing files and devices, and a rich and consistent framework within which Applications and Utilities work together and enhance each other to expand the horizons of what you can do with your C64.

C64 OS brings you a point-and-click interface with a convenient menu bar and status bar, a universal clipboard, reusable drivers and libraries, robust support for modern mass-storage devices, and a platform ready to bring new hardware expansions to life.
You get 5 customizable desktops, built-in utilities (calculator, clock, clipboard, etc.) a very robust graphical file manager (copy, move, rename, delete, etc.) and app launcher, and tons more. I highly recommend simply scanning the user guide to see how deep this brand new operating system for the C64 can be. It's an incredibly stunning piece of work we can all enjoy now, 40 years after the birth of the computer!

Having beta tested some of the early versions of this software, I couldn't smack the order now button fast or hard enough.

:commodore: <3

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:49 pm

I have been watching this for a while. I am in as I am happy to support projects like this. It looks like it will be cool to work with and design programs around.

Received my copy today. Looking forward to checking it out this weekend.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”