intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:08 pm

As many of you already know, Eye of the Beholder was released this year for the C64.

And, if you happen to have a C128, you get a lot of extra bonuses that make the experience even more sensational. Those include:
  • 2Mhz "Turbo" mode
  • Dual-screens. Low-resolution for the game, High-resolution for the new auto-map feature.
  • Num-pad support for movement
Both C64 and C128 support the Commodore 1351 mouse, which really is the only way to go with this game (or a comparable substitution). I acquired a never-opened NOS 1351 four years ago in anticipation of this game's release! I had no idea it would take four more years, but I'm not complaining.
IMG_0930.jpg
Not the 1350, not the Amiga tank, but the 1351 is the way to go.

I found an excellent use for the mouse this year when I took a deep dive into GEOS and built my C128D GEOS Battle Station.

To my surprise, when I tried to initially use it, the "brand new" never-used mouse was actually dead. After taking the mouse apart I discovered that one of the original capacitors had simply fallen off (or had never been attached properly at the factory!) back in the day. I couldn't believe it. Thankfully a friend of mine sent me a replacement cap in the mail and after I soldered it into place the mouse sprang to life.

The mouse-pointer movement of the 1351 is exactly what you would expect from a modern mouse. It's smooth, accurate and glorious. I did notice that the mouse buttons were kind of soft and "mushy" but mostly functional.

Once EotB released I set up my C128D to run the game. Within the first day it was obvious the 1351's buttons microswitches really sucked. In the game you need to use both buttons quite often. And the right mouse button was so crappy, I had to teach myself how to use it by holding it a very particular way or the button wouldn't work at all when I needed it most.

When you're in the middle of a battle the last thing you need is janky button action. It was getting me killed! And, frankly it was ruining my experience.

After some research and talking to more friends I found some button microswitch replacements on Mouser.com.

After taking some measurements and looking around I settled on two microswitch replacements to try:
this one - CUI Devices TS14-1212-50-BK-260-SCR-D
and this one - Omron B3W-4000.

After a few weeks they arrived. Having some time off from work this holiday, today I got to work on replacing the original switches.

The CUI Devices switch was noticeably higher than the originals. But, they were very stiff and produced a loud "click!" which I like. The Omron switches looked to be the same height as the originals and produced a much quieter and softer click.

You may need to turn it up and use headphones to hear the audio of the switches properly.

IMG_0931.jpg
Fearing the Omron switch would simply recreate what I already had, I decided the CUI Devices switches were the ticket for me.

IMG_0934.jpg
First I needed to remove the original switches.

IMG_0935.jpg
Here is a visual comparison between the new ones and the original ones. You can see the obvious button height difference.

IMG_0937.jpg
Thankfully this is the kind of simple repair I have confidence in performing.

Once I pulled the left-button switch off, I used my digital calipers to see how thick things were. It told me the original was 4mm thick (not including the legs, obviously) and that my chosen replacement was 4.6mm. What's interesting about that is the data sheet on Mouser said the switch was 5mm. I was glad to see it was slightly shorter in the end and went ahead with things.

IMG_0938.jpg
Here is a shot of the new switch on the left, and old switch on the right still in place.

With just the left switch installed, I put the case back on and ran to the C128. I fired everything up to make sure the button still worked before moving onto the 2nd one. So far so good! The button click is very loud now, but solid, firm, and extremely dependable. It was a massive improvement. I'm betting some folks wouldn't like the new sound, but it is such a huge improvement in action it's hard to express in words. I ran back to the soldering table to install the 2nd switch.

IMG_0941.jpg
Both new switches are installed.

Sometimes, it's the simple things. And now, back to Level 8! I'm not worried about random monster encounters as much anymore. :commodore: <3

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:21 pm

That is very interesting and I am glad you did the work on this so we can have good replacements in the future. You made me look at my own 1351 for comparison. I have owned this 1351 since it first came out (new from Toys R Us) and it has countless hours on it. My buttons are noticeably clicky but not as clicky as your replacements but probably 60 - 70% close to it.

It was not uncommon to find complete duds brand new in the box from Commodore back then. I had many C= items I bought that were defective right out of the box. So I wouldn't be surprised if that cap was messed up when put in the package. Unless there was signs of leakage or corrosion then that is likely and shipping jostled it around enough to finish the job. ;)

Anyway, Nice work!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:51 pm

@ZZ I think mine was shipped 100% defective from the factory. It looked like one of the cap's legs had never received any solder at all. The other broke off - probably during shipping like you say. But the PCB for one leg was utterly clean.

To be honest I probably could have soldered the old cap back on but the legs were half their normal length. Sticking the new one on was ultimately the right choice I think. But yeah man - total lack of QA. Wow!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:39 pm

intric8 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:51 pm
@ZZ I think mine was shipped 100% defective from the factory.

But yeah man - total lack of QA. Wow!
A bit off topic but here is a true story of 17 or 18 year old me trying to buy a new Commodore monitor to match my 64C that was going to be in my room instead of the family office that my Dad worked out of. I don't remember the exact Commodore model number but it was a monitor that came out shortly after the 64C did in 1986 or 1987. It was the same color and matched the 1541C and 64C. Probably an 1802D. I bought it from Toys R Us and it was defective. Brought it back got a new one that was also defective. I went through 3 *more* monitors all of them had major screen issues. Some were crooked, some were really blurry and some were way bowed too. After staring at a 1702 for so many years it was amazing how terrible they were in comparison. They were crappy monitors to begin with but absolutely no quality control.

Finally after the last one I had enough and went and bought a 1084D that had an amazing picture. I then was able to use it later down the road when I got an A500. Of course it was 3 times the price at the time.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”