intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:07 pm

I made a really quick video about Eye of the Beholder for Commodore 8-bits that dropped in November, 2022. (Sorry about the blurry cam - I was in an excited rush and didn't focus on production levels like I usually do in my haste.)

Anyway, in this video I demonstrate what - for me - is the ultimate way to play this incredible game. In fact, I'll say it. I think it is easily the greatest game ever made for the C128. And, in my opinion, the C128 is the best way to play it - rather than the much more common C64 - for several reasons.
  • Number Pad, for movement
  • 2Mhz Mode - huge increase in game responsiveness
  • Ability to run two monitors, and the 2nd monitor can be in 80-column mode if you have the right gear.
Hardware for optimum experience:
  • C128D (or, C128 + floppy drive for backups)
  • 1351 Mouse (or equivalent)
  • EasyFlash (or, potentially a KungFuFlash) for fast loading and saving to a single slot
  • 1702 or equivalent (is there an equivalent?) 40-col capable CRT for game screen
  • 1902A or equivalent 80-col capable CRT for auto-map screen
In any case, this was easily one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had on a Commodore computer - and we're in 2023!!! And we're 37 years past the date the C128 was made available. What a great time to be a Commodore fan.

alexishawkins

Posted Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:59 am

Great video. Answered all my questions. I was wondering why my C128 was crashing on 2MHz mode and now I know. Also good to know about the end sequence glitch in 2MHz mode. Hope I'll get there one day.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”