sprocket12

Posted Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:11 pm

Hi. I'm looking for either STL (3d) files for an Amiga 1000 case, someone with the chops to draw one up (minus the port holes in the back), or finally the detailed measurements of all aesthetics (not just width x height x depth) to recreate the 3d model. I am a novice with doing CAD but will work it up with the measurements as best I can.

My goal is to build a 'modern' Amiga but with the awesome 1000 pizza box case as close to the original as possible. I began by trying to source an old case, but it was too expensive and besides, who could cut one of these beauties? I then started researching 3d prints. After spending a fair amount of time looking, I've found A500 and A600 full models but no 1000. I'd prefer the model cut up for a consumer printer (I have the Ender 3 S1).

I'm new to 3d printing but have enjoyed owning a 500, 1000, 2000, and a 4000 so much, I want to try. I really would like to transplant a pi 4 into this case, add an SSD and maybe active cooling. I plan to add LED's for disk activity and power too.

Thanks for the read. I'll try to post what I find as I go.

fastrobplus

Posted Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:18 pm

As of today I don't think a free one exists.
This one on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3565598/remixes
is proportionally correct and would be trivial to scale up/down for use in a project such as yours. You can scale and cut it up for printing using WIndows built in 3D modeler (check out this video for how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8cqzySeiiU ) Unfortunately you'd still need some kind of keyboard.
Also - if you want it to look nice, you'll want to print in an material that can be smoothed or sanded after printing. Typically this is not PLA.

sprocket12

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:15 am

Thank you for the reply fastrobplus. I have seen these 1:3 and even 50% models but hadn't thought too much of resizing any of them. I will look into that.

I am also not against paying for the 3d files. In any case, I appreciate your response and the links!

Return to “Modern Take”