Appee

Posted Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:26 pm

I found my f18a for my ti-99/4a. I bought it to give a better color pallete and dvi out. With this rediscovery I can finally do the last upgrade I care about. The super sketch can continue not existing in my household. Not many games are made to take advantage of the extra colors and faster refresh, but zaxon and super Mario bros. It's about clarity I suppose. The ti-99/4a composite monitor isn't known for being that great and I guess I bought it so I can use OSSC. That which is something I strongly recommend to my fellow Amigans. Yes, RGB2HDMI is an affordable decent solution, but OSSC has less lag and matters for faster games

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:06 pm

Mind if I ask what the f18a actually is!

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:20 pm

McTrinsic wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:06 pm
Mind if I ask what the f18a actually is!
https://dnotq.io/f18a/f18a.html

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:32 pm

Thanks a lot - my quick search just got links to flight sims.

Appee

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:40 pm

It gives a lot without changing what makes it the ti-99/4. The digital video is also really really helpful.

Appee

Posted Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:26 pm

So today I started the process of installing my f18a and discovered the pins are short. If I so much as rustle the chip, it pops free. The video is crisp and sharp and I'm otherwise happy with the upgrade. I had to do a destructive mod to the case to give room for the vga port, but I had prepared myself for the change. It looks pretty good and eventually I'll get around to pictures. Maybe this weekend I can get around to cutting through the rf shield and give the cable good strain relief. Then I'll choose it up and maybe do something wild and boot up something in 80 column mode.

Return to “Non-Commodore Scenes”