stevelord

Posted Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:47 am

Hi all,

Amigafan over on EAB wants to start a zine similar to the old Amiga Report. He's looking to do something more US-centric and focused on serious usage rather than games. Like Amiga Report the plan is to release through Aminet in Amigaguide format, although we've both talked about releasing PDF editions once we have it up and running.

I wanted to see if any of the people here might be interested in contributing reviews, guides or opinion pieces to the zine, either one-offs or on a semi-regular basis. At the moment the release schedule is "when we have enough good content" rather than trying to push something out too often. Having read some amazing things here by intric8, shot97 and seeing the wealth of knowledge from people like mctrinsic, Doug Compton and others I thought this would be a great opportunity for the US and 1.x scene to help build something beautiful.

To give you an idea, I'm writing a telser.device setup guide and SCSI2SDv6 review, while amigafan is writing a LightWave setup guide and a TF1260 review.

It'd be really good to get some of the people here involved. Let me know in this thread if you'd like to contribute.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 am

I might be interested. The only hitch being I love posting my articles here, of course. And mine are pretty image heavy. Would the new mag be text-only like the old mags you mentioned above?

Do you have an idea - beyond Aminet traffic stats - what the distribution numbers might be? And do you have a feel for how it would be promoted?

Anyhoo it sounds interesting.

stevelord

Posted Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:39 am

intric8 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 am
I might be interested. The only hitch being I love posting my articles here, of course. And mine are pretty image heavy. Would the new mag be text-only like the old mags you mentioned above?
In AmigaOS 3.2 there's now support for in-line images. I'm pretty confident we could distribute an LHA that also had the images in IFF form for non OS 3.2 readers as long as they weren't too large. Amigafan and I have discussed the idea of making a PDF version later but the initial format of choice is AmigaGuide. Of course there's no reason you couldn't write for the mag and post here too - I think you'd probably have to speak to him about how that would work as it's his idea.
intric8 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 am
Do you have an idea - beyond Aminet traffic stats - what the distribution numbers might be? And do you have a feel for how it would be promoted?
At this stage I think it's too early to say anything about stats. There isn't really anything around like it. I don't really know about how the magazine will be promoted outside of forums and groups. I imagine it'll be posted on groups and forums like a lot of things are, and I'd hope that some of the contributors would make a point of it in their own content outlets. I'll probably write about my involvement in the mag in my newsletter for example. It's not commercial, so maybe scores are less important to some. I can intro you to Amigafan as I think these are all valid questions for him.

I think it's more for people who are into using their Amiga for semi-serious stuff to get more out of the experience. I know I'll write my pieces on Amigas, and it's going to be great to have a reason to explore different word processing tools on different Workbench releases again.

iljitsch

Posted Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:20 pm

Ok, a bit late to the party...

I've written about Amiga stuff on my own website/blog: http://retro.iljitsch.com

Especially see Review: Indivision AGA MK3 for the Amiga 1200

If you like any of this, we can talk about reprinting it in the new magazine and perhaps me contributing stuff in the future.

stevelord

Posted Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:30 am

Issue 2 is now available from The WhatIFF site.

Sorry I didn't get back to you @iljitsch, I'm not actually the editor, just a contributing writer (and not to this issue as life is pretty busy rn). Amigafan is the editor, and best person to contact. Alternatively submissions at whatiff.info or timopaul at whatiff.info should go to him.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:09 pm

Really late to the game it seems.

Sorry - the original thread start evaded me.

If you really think I could be contributing something useful then I could every once in a while help with small bits of useful tips.

Just small ones, though. I am seriously limited with my time.

Thanks,
McT

stevelord

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:14 pm

It's worth pinging Amifan McTrinsic. I'm moving countries at the moment so it's probably going to be April before I can write for WhatIFF? Again. I'm sure he'd be happy with a few small tips and tricks here and there.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:37 pm

Good luck on the move, Steve. Where are you headed?

amifan

Posted Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:40 am

Hi guys, I thought I would just add a few comments here, first thank you Steve for posting about the magazine, sorting out the articles and just producing the magazine has been more time consuming that I had anticipated so I don`t get much of a chance to promote the magazine. I would just like to reiterate what Steve said, any articles about the Amiga or your experiences be it reviews, guides or even just your frustrations about the Amiga scene will be very welcome.

The main aim of the magazine is to provide a source of information for those coming back to the Amiga scene or those who have forgot over time how to use some of the productive software on the Amiga. There is no deadline for the magazine but in general I try to get it out within 1-2 months of each issue. If you have anything no matter how small or big it would be very welcome, the more we have onboard contributing to the magazine will make it a better place for users to learn about our favourite machine.

I wanted this magazine to be similar to the US magazines such as Amiga World, Amazing Amiga and Amiga Report, they provided me with a lot of tutorials and guides when using my Amiga and I wanted to bring back that type of magazine. Well I think I might have written too much here but I hope that it will give an overview of what we hope to achieve with What IFF?. Issue 3 is currently being worked on and has reviews of Roadie, PiMiga 2.0 and Indivision AGA MK3, along with a tutorials on Lightwave 3D, Brilliance and more.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Issue 3 has been released today and you can get your copy at http://whatiff.info/ and aminet :boing: <3

Return to “The Lounge”