intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 12, 2020 10:23 pm

I did a new hand scan tonight (where I use my Migraph hand-scanner and carefully scan some favorite box art).

This really is making want to hook up my printer, which I think I'm going to do quite soon. The bizarre dithering patterns on these scans are like works of art on sheets of newsprint.

Anyhoo, here are two small sections. The actual scan is a picture far bigger than this (maybe 5x5 or thereabouts).

Can you name the game? Anyone who gets it, I'll post a 3rd piece of the image, and send you the full IFF file if you'd like to have it for your own.
IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Hint #1. This art is taken from a C64 box cover. It was originally programmed for the Apple II and ported all over the place.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed May 13, 2020 3:55 pm

Prince of Persia. I have to agree with the results of the scans. What used to be attempts at realism or realistic approximations is now a really cool new style or look

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 13, 2020 4:17 pm

Oh man @fxgogo you were SO close. That's not the right answer but you were on the right track.

Yeah, I think the highest setting 400 dpi is simply superb.

It's also a very careful balance between dpi choice, the actual art being scanned (contrast, etc.) and my hand being steady and at the right speed. It's taking quite a bit of practice but when it works, it's super cool.

I'd love these blown up on thick art paper prints.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Wed May 13, 2020 6:46 pm

Karateka! One of two games (the other being Prince of Persia) that were damned near impossible for 12 year old me to play much less beat. Maddeningly difficult...I'd be hard pressed to even want to play either one today.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 13, 2020 9:42 pm

@obitus1990 you got it! Such a beautifully masterful yet bizarre covert art.
IMG_7637.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 13, 2020 9:43 pm

One more closeup. =)
shogun.jpg

morningstar

Posted Fri May 15, 2020 9:10 pm

I replayed Karateka's remake not long ago and it's really not bad, with updated graphics. The content is certainly light, even if it is more consistent than in 1984. We just regret the price a little high compared to the adventure offered. Ultimately, I think you must have known the original to fully appreciate this version. Nostalgia when you hold us.

McTrinsic

Posted Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 am

Do you have a link to the remake?

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:52 am
Do you have a link to the remake?
It was in 2012/1013 for Xbox360 and PS3. If you have either of those systems you can download it from their respective stores. It's $4.99.

Wikipedia has information about it.

Return to “The Lounge”