stevelord

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:07 am

Hi everyone,

I've just hit publish on a post about the history of the original Amiga, more from the perspective of the story of Jack Tramiel than the technology. The platform I use limits links and embedded images and videos as well as length as it's also a mailing list. I'm also very aware that a lot of the information around is muddled and changes depending on who you talk to, so please be aware that accuracy isn't always going to be 100%. A lot of what happened is disputed and we'll never really know.

Still, if you'd like to take a look, Crash and Burn: The Amiga ST Story is here.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:35 am

Fun trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing.

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Just what intric8 said.

Wonderful trip down memory lane. Great addition to the Kickstarter books as this here offers a comprehensive view on those interesting times.

Thanks for sharing!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 pm

Nice read, thanks for sharing. I think in the part of your article where Jack was slashing the prices you probably meant the C64 was $595 and slashed to $249 in 1983. The VIC-20 never cost $595 and when the C64 came out, it wasn't long before the VIC-20 was slashed down to $99.

I remember those times because in 1983, not too long after the C64 had released, maybe 6 months or so we got a 64 to replace the VIC-20 and by then they were selling at retail for $199 - $250 depending on the deal of the week. It was a big deal that there was a price war going on.

The 64 in USA was selling so well that they could not keep them on store shelves. Literarily everyone wanted one, it seems. People were forgetting to check Camera stores and that is where we ended up getting our 64 and 1541. I remember quite a few friends being pissed that you couldn't find a 1541 or 64 at that time, at least for a short while in 83.

stevelord

Posted Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 pm
Nice read, thanks for sharing. I think in the part of your article where Jack was slashing the prices you probably meant the C64 was $595 and slashed to $249 in 1983. The VIC-20 never cost $595 and when the C64 came out, it wasn't long before the VIC-20 was slashed down to $99.
I think you're right. While I was cutting stuff down to make it fit I cut out references to the C64. I've checked my notes and yes, this is the $100 rebate. I've changed the text to:
Over 1983, he dropped VIC-20 wholesale prices from $199 to $100. When TI cut prices, Tramiel cut the VIC-20 again. TI Offered a $100 rebate on the TI-99/4a, so Tramiel offered a $100 rebate on the C64. In the end TI sold their 4a below cost at $99, a move that hurt so badly that they left the home computer market. Spectravideo’s Harry Fox said at the time, “TI got suckered by Jack”.
Does that sound right to you? I'm pulling figures from https://lowendmac.com/2016/the-1983-hom ... price-war/

Thanks for pointing it out. If anyone has any other inaccuracies I can fix I'd love to hear them. I'm sure I've made mistakes, and a lot of the history is very muddled generally.

Return to “The Lounge”