TenLeftFingers

Posted Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:33 am

Hi Amiga Lovers,

We're having a competition for Amiga artists and musicians in about a months time. Closing date for entries is January 12th, 2021. The competition will be held on Saturday, January 16th.

You can enter without needing to attend and entries will be judged at Amiga Ireland: Online 2021 in January. You can enter as many categories as you like but only one entry per category. Submissions must not have been entered in another/previous competition.

And remember it's not about being the best or amazing, but that we are using our Amigas <3
Check it out!

Silverstreak
YouTube

Posted Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:40 am

I found last year the Christmas break was an ideal time to put something together. Having gone up to see my wife’s family, there was plenty of “down time”, so winuae on the laptop was perfect to dip into.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:22 pm

That sounds like just the push in the backside I need to finish some artworks.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:50 am

Nice one guys, great! I'd better touch up that stick man I've been working on 😄

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:31 pm

I'm working on a piece I will submit later this month. I started days ago. I'm slow...

I've taken a classic piece I've always very much admired from way back in my youth, placed a grid over it, and have been meticulously replicating it on my Amiga in DPIII in a mere 16 colors at 320x200. Actually, it's technically 2 separate images that I've created in a new composition. I have created a grid for both independently and merged them together. All hail the mighty Brush Tool.

The grid idea is an old copying technique I learned back in 7th grade art class where we had to replicate an image from a newspaper. I remember copying an image from one of my favorite cartoons back then called Herman. Anyone here ever see or remember Herman? It was a comic strip with often single panel gags. Jim Unger, the artist, had exceptionally gorgeous inking skills and usually drew panels of Herman being nagged by his wife or generally losing in life in hilarious and embarrassing ways.

Anyway the grid technique works extremely well. The pixel shading on the other hand... that's a much trickier puzzle. But it's relaxing.

It's coming together.

Herman is not the subject of my piece btw. This project just happened to trigger that memory as I haven't tried to reproduce something like this in ... holy crap a really long time. :)

In any case, in honor of Herman and Jim Unger (who died a few years ago) I'll leave you with this.
herman.jpg

TenLeftFingers

Posted Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:20 pm

My God, the standard is going to be high this year! I'm really looking forward to seeing these entries, especially knowing how much work goes into them.

I came across that grid method in a book called Drawing on the Right Side on the Brain. I never thought to apply it on Amiga. For now my drawings are largely obvious products of the drawing tools (curves, basic shapes etc).

I'll check out Herman. I've done Garfield to death at this stage - as much as I love him. I'm also reading this from time-to-time:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:45 pm

Submitted!

Strongly agree that this contest happened at a perfect time with the long holiday break just now with so many days of zero agenda. One must look for the silver linings covid has created. It's mosty awful, but on the rare occasion there can be a bright side. This was one of them! Spending so much time with my family is obviously the other.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the other submissions and will probably publish what I did here on amigalove.com around the same time you guys go live in a week.

I feared you guys would be viewing my piece verbatim (which, on a modern screen, won't be stretched to 4:3) so I included photos of my CRT screen as I also assume you don't have NTSC hardware. Aspect ratios matter (and those scanlines create anti-aliasing for free). ;) The photos wash out the color and contrast a little bit, but overall is far superior than opening the file in photoshop etc.

Good luck with the compo, TLF.

Notes (your submission form only provided the length of a short tweet):

320x200, no overscan
16 colors
Deluxe Paint III (3)
IFF file format
Started on an NTSC A3000 running OS 1.3, finished on an A1K
Should be viewed in a 4:3 aspect ratio
Best viewed on a CRT, if possible

Also, I put the original file in the Zip named "heavyMetal8" but just to be safe I put a 2nd file in there where I added the .iff extension, too.

P.S.
Thanks to this competition I finally learned pressing F10 removes the dang UI chrome and drawing tools! Yay! I'd been tapping around with my cursor keys previously. :D

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:53 am

Hm... I just have this very old Amiga 500 Lighwave3D-Raytracing with my Babylon 5 ships and the one with my own ships (those I had posted here on the forum). But I'm not sure if it would make any sense to enter with this image. It has been done decades ago... any thoughts on that, guys?

TenLeftFingers

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:17 am

@intric8: congratulations on winning 1st place ;) You should receive an e-mail. Thanks to your photo of it on a monitor, we knew how it should look ratio wise. Well done. It is absolutely stunning.

@3D-vice: Sorry for not replying sooner. The weeks before the event can become hectic at times.

You could have entered, yes. As long as it wasn't submitted in another competition in the past. I hope you'll consider us for 2022!

Edit: almost forgot, full results are here: https://amigausers.ie/amiga-ireland-202 ... n-results/

Edit 2: Silverstreak is on the thréad too :) Congrats on winning 1st place!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:36 am

Can’t believe it! So awesome!!

Did you record a video of the event?

Return to “The Lounge”