Overmann

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:49 am

Hi,
I just read about Sande's experience "buying" a CDTV keyboard on Amibay and was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a pinned thread with info on users/user-accounts that have stolen from people? It might be in poor taste, I'm not sure. But if there is no doubt that someone took money, in bad faith, then their handles and info should be available, and easily accessible somewhere.
I bought a Blizzard PPC years ago, from Portugal, and that was a pure scam. The seller kept sending me e-mails after recieving the money with excuses as to why he hadn't posted the item, until a couple of months later telling me that he had unfortunately sold it to someone else. He said he would refund, but had to do it in several smaller amounts. However, he never did, and when I began asking when he was going to he got increasingly hostile until finally telling me to "f*** myself". Which I though was uncalled for, considering the circumstances.
It turned out the guy had scammed a bunch of other people as well, but we only found out there were more of us when I made a thread on the guy on amiga.org. The whole thing could probably have been avoided for many of us if there was a list of these bastards.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 am

The only problem is really the slim chance anyone actually sees the list, and remembers the handles, when the time to buy is hot and heavy.

More than anything, it would be a running Wall of Shame, I suppose. I'm not against the idea entirely but I doubt it would be effective in saving folks from future shenanigans. If anything I'd hope Amibay (or wherever you made the connection) - the place where these events occur - would have some sort of safeguards and user banning in place.

Hans

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:06 pm

Well, people will abuse this and use it to spread lies about people they do not like. For instance, I am half German and half Jewish. Both of my races are known for be good at "wheeling and dealing" and for making money. I am so good at this that some people in the vintage computer community actually think that I am a thief and con artist. These jerks have spread lies about me on the internet, and stupid people accept their lies as truth without talking to me or asking these people to provide evidence that will hold up in a court of law. Hearsay does not count. Only a stupid person hears one side of a story and then makes a judgement. A wise person hears both sides of a story, asks for evidence or proof that will hold up in a court of law, only then will that person make a judgement. People that have accused me on the internet (keyboard warriors) of stealing, scamming, or being a con artist have NOT provided any evidence to back up their claims. Yes, I am very good at buying and reselling. This does NOT make me a thief, scammer, or con artist. Also, just because I buy Commodore 64 computers for $25 to $50 and then sell them on eBay $300 to $400 per computer, does NOT make me a thief, scammer, or a con artist. But some people think that it does. So, they spread lies about me on the internet. Trust me when I tell you that these jerks would never say any of their crap to my face.

Hans

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:29 pm

Overmann wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:49 am
Hi,
I just read about Sande's experience "buying" a CDTV keyboard on Amibay and was wondering if it might be a good idea to have a pinned thread with info on users/user-accounts that have stolen from people? It might be in poor taste, I'm not sure. But if there is no doubt that someone took money, in bad faith, then their handles and info should be available, and easily accessible somewhere.
I bought a Blizzard PPC years ago, from Portugal, and that was a pure scam. The seller kept sending me e-mails after recieving the money with excuses as to why he hadn't posted the item, until a couple of months later telling me that he had unfortunately sold it to someone else. He said he would refund, but had to do it in several smaller amounts. However, he never did, and when I began asking when he was going to he got increasingly hostile until finally telling me to "f*** myself". Which I though was uncalled for, considering the circumstances.
It turned out the guy had scammed a bunch of other people as well, but we only found out there were more of us when I made a thread on the guy on amiga.org. The whole thing could probably have been avoided for many of us if there was a list of these bastards.
Now, you see why I buy vintage computer items from my local craigslist or from eBay. You could make a video about this and post it on your YouTube channel. I had dealings with a bad seller from China. So, I posted a video about this on my YouTube channel. That video got a positive response. I also showed in the video how this eBay seller had multiple accounts, and I showed people how to fine these multiple eBay accounts. I talked to eBay on the phone and they suspended all of that jerks accounts.

dalek
Australia

Posted Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:31 pm

.. and you boast about your profits in your videos. And you don't seem to think anything is wrong with this.

You beg and plead and haggle people out of money on Craigslist and prey on people's nostalgia to part with their vintage items at well below market prices so that you can turn around and make a profit.

And you wonder why the community hates you.

Hans

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 am

dalek wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:31 pm
.. and you boast about your profits in your videos. And you don't seem to think anything is wrong with this.

You beg and plead and haggle people out of money on Craigslist and prey on people's nostalgia to part with their vintage items at well below market prices so that you can turn around and make a profit.

And you wonder why the community hates you.
Are you sure you know what you are talking about? Because, I do NOT "beg" , "plead" , or "haggle" people out of money on craigslist. Also, I do NOT "prey on people's nostalgia". I check craigslist every day for vintage computer items, while having my breakfast. If I see something that peeks my interest, I contact the seller and make an offer on his stuff. He can either accept my offer or reject it. There is nothing wrong with buying low and selling high. I know that most people are lazy and stupid. So, is it wrong for me to take advantage of their laziness and stupidity? No, it is not. Also, I am not worried about some people hating me. Like, who are they to not like someone, as if they are so perfect. Did these people ever stop to think that maybe I do not like them? No, because they are selfish and self-centered. You really should speak for yourself. YOU hate me, not the whole community.

I do NOT "boast about my profits in my videos". Many people have asked me to create videos about the vintage computer items I sell on eBay, because they want to know how much vintage computer stuff sells for. Since I am one of the original 1,000 eBay Sellers, that basically helped start eBay, people know that I know what I am doing when it comes to selling on eBay.

So far, I have earned over $200,000.00 on eBay, and that was from just selling casually. Imagine what I can do if I made eBay a full time business.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:00 am

The difference I would make is of you buy from someone who wants to let go of his retro stuff to keep things in the community for someone who wants to get back into retro-computing with a low threshold. So if you prevent that it would not be nice.

Other than that.

So what.

austin90

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:40 am

Overmann wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:49 am
Hi,
Hey, can you link to the specific case?

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:05 am

It’s Europe.

Go to the police with all evidence you have and open a case.

Worked well in my case back then with a French buyer.

Return to “The Lounge”