McTrinsic

Posted Thu May 27, 2021 1:13 pm

The OS3.5 and 3.9 are rather a different fork from 3.1 than 3.1.4(.1) and. 3.2 are.

You could merge some items. Pick best of both worlds, if you want.

Dynamic_Computing

Posted Sun May 30, 2021 11:17 am

I am quite excited about AmigaOS 3.2, but I also use Amiga OS 3.1.4 on virtually all of my Amiga's. The only one that does not have it is my A500 that is currently under repair.
I have the ROMS ordered for several of my machines, and look forward to putting the new OS thru its paces!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 30, 2021 12:25 pm

@dynamic_computing

Do you think you'll actually receive your ROMs and files?

Cloanto didn't waste much time.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:37 pm

I figured this would happen. I am glad my copy shipped last week. I should get the CD Friday, but knowing USPS it will be late. I can burn ROMs and make disks myself so I didn't go down that route of buying the ROMs. If Amiga On The Lake ever stocks the ROMs I would consider buying it from them.

I noted above that I like to support the developers by purchasing the upgrades. But the fact is the actual developers get no money for their work.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:01 am

Consider the Devs as some artists.

If you buy OS 3.2 and / or subsequent releases, it is the equivalent to applause.

It is a significant recognition for their work.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:50 am

McTrinsic wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:01 am
Consider the Devs as some artists.

If you buy OS 3.2 and / or subsequent releases, it is the equivalent to applause.

It is a significant recognition for their work.
Yeah but it still would be nice if they got a cut of the sales. Granted it wouldn't be much but the sales are probably higher then we realize otherwise it would not be worth Hyperions time to press cds, packaging, etc.

On a side note, mine arrived today from Retro Rewind and now I also see that AOTL has it in stock. The didn't answer my email about stocking it so I ordered where it was in stock.

jdryyz

Posted Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:40 am

Did you get a ROM set from Retro Rewind?

I jumped the gun a bit an ordered from AOTL but no word yet on ROMs being available.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:44 am

I waited and waited because I have no intention of changing any of my daily drivers. I must have added 3.2 and a ROM set for one of my A3Ks to my cart half a dozen times since it was available. But I never pulled the trigger.

Yet now you can't order it from Retro Rewind at all. You can add everything to your cart, but when it is time to pay it will produce an error-alert saying the item was out of stock.

Yesterday I decided I would update my A600 instead, which I never use. I figured it would be a fun weekend experiment to play around with in the future.

I wound up ordering the CD & ROM combo and an interesting PCMCIA loader thing for the A600 instead from Spain, which I imagine won't get to me until the end of June. They are selling ROMs but only for 500/600/2000 and 1200 machines. I think if you have a different machine you'll be looking at ways to burn them yourself.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:05 am

jdryyz wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:40 am
Did you get a ROM set from Retro Rewind?
No, just the CD-ROM. I can program myself. Like @intric8, I don't really intend to change anything on my regular use system. But I have a few kickstart switchers and the ROMulator so I like to try out the new stuff.

I am sure AOTL will have them listed eventually.

retrorewind.ca

Posted Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:55 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:44 am
Yet now you can't order it from Retro Rewind at all. You can add everything to your cart, but when it is time to pay it will produce an error-alert saying the item was out of stock.
Sorry about that. Our system had a major snafu with our pre-order system and inventory. It wasn't adjusting numbers when people abandoned their carts and I didn't realize it until Sunday night.

It's all good now.

Return to “The Lounge”