intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm

Yesterday I created a poll for the Twitterati asking if they were going to upgrade at least 1 machine in their collection to AmigaOS 3.2. 178 total votes were recorded over 24 hours, which I think is a pretty great response.

And I have to admit that 50% of respondents being on the fence kind of surprised me. I originally assumed folks would know, at least philosophically speaking, if they were going to go for it or not right off the bat.

I didn't invest in 3.1.4 and honestly now I'm kind of glad. 3.2 sounds really nice. If you like to use your Amiga (or at least one of them) as a "blinged out" machine that simply provides a lot less friction, it seems like a slam dunk.

For me, nearly all of my Amigas are shrines to the past. I'll very quickly stick a SCSI2SD card in any of them, however. I don't even have to think twice about that. That kind of stuff doesn't really impact my nostalgia; it just makes me worry less overall. And if I'm on an Amiga 1000 or 2000 or whatever, I'm not really needing it to look and feel like Windows 95 (that's not a put-down). It's a time machine, a Tardis if you will, I'm totally fine riding in a swirling cylinder of blue. But I also totally understand the thrill folks have taking their 30 year old hardware into the present. It's pretty cool.

Ironically, as I type this I realize now I'm also in that 50%. The only machine I have running 3.1 is currently on a shelf as it is. I know it's not always popular, but I really like the fact that it is a Commodore-created OS in a Commodore-created machine.

But I also like the idea of what 3.2 has to offer some Amigans in 2021. I can tell a ton of work went into it. I'd be much more inclined to get 3.2 for my one machine running 3.1 even if I wind up not upgrading it for a long time. Or ever.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue May 18, 2021 3:52 pm

That is rather surprising. I bought 3.1.4 a while back and apart from the long boot time, it is fantastic. Looking to 3.2, I definitely want it, but it is just a matter of when I will get it. What I do know is that it won’t be for any of my physical machines, it will be for emulation only. The conveniences with a fast system and a networked world is pure bliss.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 6:08 am

Interesting. I missed the poll but I would have voted that i would buy it. I don't see a way to pre-order it yet.

I did buy 3.1.4 for A1200 and 3.1.4 for A2000/500. However, I never did install them I only bought it just in case and to support further development. I still have both sets new in the package.

I would probably do the same for 3.2. Although I may install it on one of my A1200s. I don't think I would want to run it on my unaccelerated 2000.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 6:53 am

I typically fall somewhere in the middle, regarding OS updates.

I definitely like newer fixes and upgraded features, and am spoiled for today's UI features. However, I like to keep at least one system of each model vintage and original, unspoiled from any hardware hacks (primarily for nostalgia's sake). It's why I have at least one of each system in such a state. Only external add-on's and devices are used on those, or those that have minimal impact and reversible (such as a ROM switcher board, etc). Their twins are used for hobby purposes, and get modded with some frequency (and when I have free time to tinker).

However, the model of which I only have one version, my A4000D, is the one that I use for the newest and greatest OS's and bling. It's the "sports car" of the collection, and has speed, interface, and memory enhancements. Thus, it would be perfect to utilize the newer 3.2 OS. I'm definitely considering updating the OS for that particular machine, but likely only that machine.

So, I'll color myself in the 50% percentile as well, I reckon. I'm not averse to upgrading, but it will be a targeted approach.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:01 am

intric8 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:48 am
RetroRewind has it.
Just looked at the page, looks like it's scheduled to be shipping starting 6/14, pre-orders currently.

Question (for anyone): Why the option for choosing three physical ROM's? Wonder why they just don't give the option to select your model and the site just supplies the correct number of ROM's? A little confusing...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:03 am

It's a very confusing UI. The addition of a quantity field makes it even worse.

I think the idea is for folks to be able to get ROM sets for up to 3 separate machines per pre-order. But then throwing that quantity field down there... I asked some friends about it as soon as I saw it, and the best guess was it was simply a default action of the CMS RetroRewind uses to manage the shop.

But, yeah.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:18 am

I'll take a quick trip to Hyperion's site and see if there's any clarification there. For the A4000 there are two ROM's required, but RetroRewind's order page doesn't really delineate that.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, thought it was me that was confused...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:22 am

My understanding is if you select 1 ROM on that site you're getting one set for one machine in addition to the CD/digital stuff and disks if you want them, too. There is no Amiga (to my knowledge) with 3 ROMs. And I've never seen a shop sell them individually, only as pairs.

I think if you select 1 drop-down you're getting 1 set. You can always ask the RR guys (they're responsive).

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Wed May 19, 2021 7:26 am

I'll quiz them prior to ordering, thanks. That's absolutely the right course of action prior to plunking down for the order, for sure...

Edit: Just checked Amiga on the Lake (Hyperion's listed U.S. vendor), and AOTL doesn't even have the product on their site at all (yet). So, thanks for the link to Retro Rewind. Just shot them a query regarding the pre-order.

Update: Got the following reply (clarified things immensely):
AmigaOS 3.2 provides the end user with licensing for ALL Amigas they may own. We offer rom burning for up to 3 individual Amigas. So, if you only want ROMs burned for an Amiga 4000D (Desktop) or Amiga 4000T (Tower) then you just need to select the appropriate machine in the first ROM choice. If you also wanted ROMs for an Amiga 500 as an example, they you would choose the 500 in the second option and so on.
I suggested that they add some verbiage to the order page to clarify and avoid confusion :)

I'll likely pre-order in a day or so.

Return to “The Lounge”