intric8
Seattle, WA, USA
Website

Posted Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 am

warhol-1.jpg

We've all seen the images. We all remember watching the grainy VHS video of Andy Warhol center stage creating digital artwork on his Amiga, a hushed audience watching on in amazement. We later learned that the engineers were inwardly praying Warhol wouldn't use the paint-bucket fill tool as it was very beta, and very crashy.

But Warhol did, and it didn't crash! And the engineers exhaled a shaky sigh of relief while the event went on.
warhol-4.jpg

Now, over 35 years later, five images retrieved from old floppy disks have been minted and auctioned as nonfungible tokens (NFTs) at a Christie's online sale. It has begun, and you can visit the auction and see the prices thus far here. (They each started at $10,000 US.)

The auction is scheduled to end on May 27, 2021.

warhol-3.jpg
warhol-5.jpg
So let's say I lose my mind and bid on one and actually win. How would I be able to "show off" my priceless work of art? The original files were 320x200 NTSC images. These images have somehow been upscaled to 6000 x 4500, which is in fact 4:3. So that's good.

But I wouldn't own the copyright to the actual image, which can be found all over the place online, in art history books, computer history books and the like.

I could display it on a nice big SamSung digital display at home I suppose. The whole point of most art is that it be a viewable experience, by and large, not including multimedia experiences.

But this is more an investment tucked away in my Crypto wallet, only to be talked about as a thing I owned but couldn't really show as an original (just like stocks, home equity as shown on Zillow, Ethereum, etc.), but a scaled up version thanks to someone with some basic Photoshop skills?

I get it. It's a really weird investment in digital goods. But dang it, I kinda really want the original disk! You know what I mean?

And by the way, don't we all want that image of Debbie Harry? Where'd that image go, hm?

<3 :boing:

warhol-2.jpg
Is it just me, or are you all getting some Cannon Fodder vibes from this, too?

Overmann

Posted Mon May 24, 2021 6:02 am

Wow, Andy Warhol really had no idea what he was doing ! :D ;)
I've not been able to/had the time to wrap my head around what NFT is or how it works, but I wouldn't take these images if someone threw them at me. Thankfully art is subjective, and hopefully someone finds a use/appreciation for these.

JoeUser
Dallas, TX

Posted Mon May 24, 2021 9:37 am

Warhol was the source of today's "cult of personality", IMO. I agree, I never was a huge fan back then. But, to each his own!

fxgogo
Website

Posted Mon May 24, 2021 10:18 am

Not a fan of the whole NFT euphoria and not sure old Andy would of approved. I would love to see huge glass plates made of these to sit outside in public areas to colour the landscape.

Wavemaker
Poland
Website

Posted Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:55 am

Honestly all I see in crypto are creative ways to make fools part with their money. And I did make some from it myself, but I still fail to see which value is it adding to society.

Return to “The Lounge”