intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:53 pm

I got a new Macquarium yesterday from someone on Craigslist - for free (more on this later)! It came with an already modified SE case and internal fish tank.

The case looked its age.
IMG_4090.png
IMG_4091.png

A good friend of mine told me about Magic Erasers last year. I'd never even heard of them before, but decided to pick up a box in the hopes I'd find a Mac case some day. I was happy to not have to gut an old machine myself and take one someone else had already chopped up.

You take the "eraser" and saturate it with water, wringing it out a bit. Then you rub it all over the case with a bit of muscle trying to cover every inch over and over until you think a side looks good. Drying it with a paper towel will show you the results right then and there.

After 90 minutes of effort and about ½ a box of of erasers these are my current results.

IMG_4104.png
IMG_4108.png
IMG_4109.png
IMG_4110.png
IMG_4112.png

Worth noting:

No sun. No chemicals or bleach. No marbling or streaking.

The erasers are very lightly abrasive, so they are taking off a microscopic outer layer as you rub them over the surface. I did have to take extra care around the screen-printed case badges. But they do such a fine job (pun intended) I'm extremely pleased with the results.

Thought you guys might like to know if you hadn't seen or heard of them yet.

They require some manual labor, but the results seem more predictable than retr0brighting. Granted, if you had an "orange" computer these wouldn't really help that much.

I think if I put in another hour or so this case would look quite stunning and the fellow I got it from probably wouldn't even recognize it!

I did discover during this exercise that the case has a few cracks in the front shell. I'm not entirely sure how to deal with those yet. One is dead center at the top. The other is on a lower corner where it looks like it might have been crushed somehow.
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on a way to address these I'd appreciate some tips. I'm leaning towards giving the case another hour of work, then trying out some JB Weld Plastic Bonder on those cracks. Then the fun part - the aquarium!

The professional one is on the left, the home made one on the right (note the stands, and the seams). I'll probs use the pro one.
IMG_4117.jpg
IMG_4118.jpg

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:22 pm

You could check out retrohax‘ blog at
https://retrohax.net/blog/
as he seems to deal a lot with this kind of stuff. Might take a while to find the right blog entry.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:21 am

Oh man those Mac aquariums were funny a number of years back. Now I would rather have the Mac. Coincidentally, I picked up a cheap Mac SE FDHD last week. I'll describe that in another thread.

As for the cracks, some people use ABS cement, which you can find clear in the plumbers area of Home Depot. Although I have not tried it this might be a good candidate for using acetone. You put it in the crack and hold the pieces together until it seals, or rather, melts together. I have seen some do this and you can barely notice the crack after repair.

Return to “The Lounge”