stevelord

Posted Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:50 am

Hi,

Today I pulled a CDTV out of the loft. She's a beauty, but needs some love after a decade. I'll restore her to former glory and beyond. I'd prefer to keep her on 1.3 if possible so I can still boot CDs. So far I'm looking at a SCSI interface and SCSI2SD and maybe 8mb of RAM so I can run A500 games via JST. I'm also building a Plipbox soon, which got me wondering - can I run TCP/IP on the CDTV? It'd be nice to be able to FTP or telnet once in a while.

I've noticed DNet on Aminet, which might be an option. DNet uses serial rather than Parallel, but that's not so much of an issue. Has anyone here run DNet, if so, is it a reasonable 1.x alternative to TCP/IP?

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:05 am

Hi,
don’t have a solution but can confirm the issue. No TCP/IP for 1.3.

Would be highly interested to learn about alternatives.

Cheers
McT

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:33 pm

Ok, I checked a similar thread on A1k.org.

Bottom line: there is a little bit possible if what we consider ‚TCP/IP‘ nowadays. Even then, there are few if any applications for WB1.3 to use a networking stack!

For DialUp, we have:

TermiteTCP demo
and Amiga TCP

So both would need a PC at the other side of the Ethernet cable that would be the server. Probably possible under Linux, but don’t ask me how :) .

Then there is:

AmigaNOS ... which no one seems to know anything about.

TermiteTCP at least seems to have applications for telnet (yay! Playing MUDs ;) ) and FTP (warez-leeching with an 1.3 Amiga! Way to go!)

YMMV 😆

Let us know if you start experimenting with this software.

Cheers,
McT

Return to “The Lounge”