Will you be trying to get into the pre-order frenzy for the MEGA65?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:04 pm

YES
25%
NO
63%
MAYBE but I want to wait and see some YouTube reactions first before I make up my mind, even if it's too late by then and I'm stuck for a year. I can wait, and it's worth it to me to decide after I see more.
13%

Total votes: 8
Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:05 am

After all it is tempting but not sure I want to drop $850 USD on this since it is unclear what kind of software support will happen for it.

How do you know if you are one of the 2021 units or one of the 2022?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:17 am

I'm 100% all-in.

For the first time in over 25 years I feel like this is the closest I've gotten to touch the face of Commodore as if it were back and brand new again in some sort of weird alternate reality. I haven't been this excited about a physical product since the Switch. Actually the hype levels I'm on are probably closer to the Wii. Maybe the original iPhone. I can't wait.

Since there is a game compo for it going on now, by the time the machines ship some quality stuff will be ready for it on day 1. I'm not worried about the software scene developing over time. It'll be there. I'm not going to be shocked if they wind up getting a C128 core packed in there some day, too.
How do you know if you are one of the 2021 units or one of the 2022?
I got Order Number 37515. My understanding is if your order # is below 37875 there’s a great chance you’re in the first 400. I have a friend who literally just bought one and he's certain he's in batch #2. I think the first 400 sold out in about 5 hours with no marketing push - simply Discord and an email blast to folks who donated to the case mould campaign. I got my email at 1:13AM PT.

2n15z.jpeg
Rainbows are back!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:24 am

Ok, well I pulled the trigger too but since I only heard about it this morning my order number is about 25 or so higher then the projected cutoff above so 2022 I suppose.

As for price, did it hit your expected range? @3d-vice hit it practically on the head in his earlier message. Not having to pay VAT helps balance out the shipping costs to USA.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:53 am

Not having to pay VAT is massive (thank goodness we don't do that)! Imagine buying a car over there. Yikes!

I thought it was going to fall in somewhere around $700, so after shipping it's a little more than I was expecting but not a ton. I'll be doing a mild purge later this Fall to make some room and replenish a bit. It should all work out in the end.

Welcome to the party, ZZ! I've got a shirt and mug on the way to help get in the mood while we wait. =)

:commodore: <3

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:09 am

intric8 wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:53 am
Not having to pay VAT is massive (thank goodness we don't do that)! Imagine buying a car over there. Yikes!
Oh man. The prices on cars here today are bad enough thanks to dealer markup going on, SUVs especially. 10% tax here in CA is already ridiculous.
I thought it was going to fall in somewhere around $700, so after shipping it's a little more than I was expecting but not a ton. I'll be doing a mild purge later this Fall to make some room and replenish a bit. It should all work out in the end.
Yeah, same here, a little more than I was expecting but on the flip side it is a very unique product and that crew worked hard for years on this. They deserve the support.
Welcome to the party, ZZ! I've got a shirt and mug on the way to help get in the mood while we wait. =)
Right on! Even though I was initially going to wait, I just couldn't. Maybe we should have a new thread for the party?

Interesting, when I bought it the availability was Dec 23, 2021 and now the pre-order page is saying March 2022 so maybe I got lucky... Or maybe they didn't update it right away. Either way I will be happy. But my room is out of space so it is time to demote some stuff to storage. Too many Macs, PCs and :commodore: stuff. What I really need is a bigger place with a 1000 Sq Ft office.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:43 pm

@ intri8
I got Order Number 37515. My understanding is if your order # is below 37875 there’s a great chance you’re in the first 400. I have a friend who literally just bought one and he's certain he's in batch #2. I think the first 400 sold out in about 5 hours with no marketing push - simply Discord and an email blast to folks who donated to the case mould campaign. I got my email at 1:13AM PT.
But what are your 'Order confirmation numbers' as I've read that the initial order no. includes all orders and not just MEGA65 ones.

btw, my OCN which I received on my 2nd email from Trenz is 194782 :commodore: <3

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:22 pm

I've actually since then been told to disregard the order numbers entirely - that they are purely for their own use.

What we should pay most attention to is the proposed ship date your order was given.

Mine was December 27, 2021. That puts me solidly somewhere in the original 400 batch since it's going out this year.

That being said I have friends who placed their orders the same time I did or even earlier yet got ship dates in January. In other words, it kind of depended on who at Trenz (Kevin Götz FTW!) fulfilled your order as to where you would land. At least in the flurry of initial orders that seems to have been the case.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:16 pm

^ This. Mine said December 27, 2021 initially too but the next day when I got my official confirmation it said sometime in 2022, exact date to be determined.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:49 pm

Ooof! One-inch punch to the chest! Brutal.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:11 am

Zippy Zapp wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:16 pm
^ This. Mine said December 27, 2021 initially too but the next day when I got my official confirmation it said sometime in 2022, exact date to be determined.
same here “ your order will be in 2022. An exact date to be announced.”

now that is really covering your arse

Return to “The Lounge”