Will you be trying to get into the pre-order frenzy for the MEGA65?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:04 pm

YES
25%
NO
63%
MAYBE but I want to wait and see some YouTube reactions first before I make up my mind, even if it's too late by then and I'm stuck for a year. I can wait, and it's worth it to me to decide after I see more.
13%

Total votes: 8
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:04 pm

Curious the temperature of the AmigaLove waters for the MEGA65. I've been a fan (and supporter) of the project for years. The closer we get to an actual pre-order the more I've jumped into those MEGA waters. Have to say, the hardware looks and sounds super sweet. The software base is pretty lacking, but it was lacking the day the Amiga was launched, too, you know what I mean?

So, without further ado.

This poll will be open for 48 hours.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm

I kinda... dont see the point. lots of C64's + 128s around. The 65 wasnt a real thing (to me). and 99.99% of usage would be to play C64 stuff.. so I dunno. I kinda see the commander x16 the same way. an interesting project, labour of love but at the end of the day, I have no real interest in it.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:29 am

Thus far, the poll results here follow pretty closely to another poll I posted (with a lot more activity because there are simply more users) on Twitter last night.

In the first 12 hours of a 48-hour poll, nearly 100 people have responded there.

And the results are nearly the same. Statistically, if we get one more Yes vote here that won't be the case, but check it out.
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 8.30.52 AM.png

About 30% yeses and 70% nos. Pretty interesting.

I think it's safe to assume the 2021 batch of 400 are going to disappear. I'm hitting a fellowship of around 6K people.
The 64 Group on Facebook alone (and not everyone is in FB anymore) has 4X that reach.

If 30% of all C64/8-bit folks are into it, holy smoke. Heck, even if 10% were wanting one next week as the word spreads, the MEGA team shouldn't be left with any surplus stock. Unless the price is way higher. And that is the big mystery at the moment - how the price point affects the appetite.

For fun I'll post a poll on that massive FB Group and see what happens there, too. I don't have a personal account on FB - deleted mine years ago - but have an "Amiga Love" account for the retro Groups.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:09 pm

Well, I've donated to the case mould funding campaign and I am more than interested in getting this awesome 8-bite computer, so ... yes, I'll get one of course. :mrgreen:

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:08 pm

@3D-Vice I did as well.

I worry I've got too many machines now to devote enough time to many of them, but it's such an impressive project I hope to be able to continue to support it. We'll see.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Come to think of it, since they crowd-funded the case moulds, maybe it won't be as expensive as I originally thought.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:24 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:10 pm
Come to think of it, since they crowd-funded the case moulds, maybe it won't be as expensive as I originally thought.
I am guessing in the $500 - $700 range. I know that sounds like a lot but from what I have read, I get the feeling it is not going to be lower than that.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:28 pm

This is an amazing project, but like the Spectrum Next project, I really need to focus the little free time I have. The Amiga is that focus. Unless I win the lottery, it will have to be this way.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Here's how the Facebook poll played out.
Screen Shot 2021-09-26 at 8.47.31 PM.png
There were about another 40 who said "Maybe" and that'll depend on the price point. So I'm ignoring those answers for now.

Anyway, 25% of those polled on Facebook that decided to participate voted Yes. And so while I think the first 400 will disappear quickly, the next 1,000 leaves open the door for folks not in a favorable time zone on Day 1.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:42 am

The race is on, guys!

... and I've managed to preorder one, yay. :D
MEGA65_Preorder.jpg

Return to “The Lounge”